E85 cold issues.

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: E85 cold issues.

Post by immortality »

Definitely need to figure out if it's lean or rich. At what engine temp does it become drive-able?

Was it fine on a cold start before the LS TB?

It may pay to put the original TB on and take a cold start log and then repeat with the LS TB and see what changes.
hoosedamoose
cars: vs statesman

Post by hoosedamoose »

immortality wrote:Definitely need to figure out if it's lean or rich. At what engine temp does it become drive-able?

Was it fine on a cold start before the LS TB?

It may pay to put the original TB on and take a cold start log and then repeat with the LS TB and see what changes.
The wideband reads lean, but that could be due to the fact that it's misfiring when this occurs. The car was fine before the ls throttle body. Would be drivable within 20 seconds of starting. It has me thinking though, there might be a slight chance that there is a vacuum leak between the Ubend and the throttle body adaptor. Putting on thr stock Tb should eliminate this I think
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

It sounds lean to me, possibly partly each for all of the reasons mentioned above - Fuel atomisation properties at cold temp, enrichment not enough for the larger TB including the param immortality mentioned, possible air leak letting in unmetered air.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

have you also considered that it suddenly got cold just recently in vic? like the temps have dropped more than 10-15ºc in the last 2 weeks alone. It was -ve at my place this morning and everything had ice on it. 2-3 weeks prior it was like early December weather.

So perhaps you might of had problems that never actually showed up until ambient temps dropped enough to surface them.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
hoosedamoose

Post by hoosedamoose »

Yeah. To be honest it has been happening for a while now. 3 months+. But never really bothered me until I started driving it to work. I'll do some digging with the tb setup and find out. The parameters I've changed had no effect on this issue. The only thing which has worked well is the crank fuel vs cts.

I haven't ruled out an air leak yet.
hoosedamoose

Post by hoosedamoose »

Put on the stock throttle body. Made no difference. Looks like I need to start looking elsewhere.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

bypass valve stuck?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
hoosedamoose

Post by hoosedamoose »

vlad01 wrote:bypass valve stuck?
Bypass actuator works properly and the bypass solenoid has been deleted.
hoosedamoose

Post by hoosedamoose »

https://youtu.be/gkEOP_PsKZI

Here's a quick video of what it does when I touch the throttle only when cold. When it's warm, it applies my commanded afr in that region. I do have closed loop disabled. All running open loop.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Looks like going lean as fuck when you give it some throttle. Add in a whole lot of AE in the cold part of the table.

edit: hang on, your on e85 and that WB is showing petrol style AFR's. It probably is lean just idling and giving it some throttle is just killing it. You probably need to enrichen the whole cold start area.