VT V8 304 MAF NVRAM -> VS V8 MAP NVRAM + M122 SC Conversion

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Re: VT V8 304 MAF NVRAM -> VS V8 MAP NVRAM + M122 SC Convers

Post by charlay86 »

delcowizzid wrote:Nothing wrong with the 60s God knows how many sets I've used without issue.a thin stream isn't a bad thing it gets the fuel in onto and past the valve too wide you are spraying the port walls with a lot of fuel
Agreed, the injector targetting and timing is really the issue, and it needs to be assessed based on the inlet tract design.
If the dekas (or any injector really) aren't pointing at the valve they aren't going to do much good.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

delcowizzid wrote:Nothing wrong with the 60s God knows how many sets I've used without issue.a thin stream isn't a bad thing it gets the fuel in onto and past the valve too wide you are spraying the port walls with a lot of fuel
Very true, fuel on the port walls and injector placement/design really needs to be considered when upgrading injectors. And even more so with E85 or methanol fuels where you are injecting far more fuel. Shows up when closing the throttle after having the engine loaded, batch or bank fire cant really tune this out so its even more important to get the mechanics of the injector right.

The1 wrote:they all work no doubt, value for money though the denso's i have been doing are great 12 hole oval spray. There's a link in my injector thread pretty sure, if not i can find a link for them again.
I have been using these with E85 for awhile now, super happy with the control at low PWs for a 750cc injector. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3377&start=190#p73023.

Engine is not totally warm yet (normal idle PW is ~1.04ms) but an example of the target AFR change at idle with PW going from 1.21ms to 1.27ms...
Fuel.png
JA2Z
cars: - WH II 5.7L Statesman (daily)
- VT 5.0L Calais
- 1994 Ford Probe V6 DOHC
- 2007 Ford Focus TDCI 2.0

Post by JA2Z »

My old man was saying that the Injectors he used for racing would spray a sweep ring like a spiral around the back of the valve. he has an old book on the technology he's going to try and dig it up and I'll post some data/images if people are interested.
The1

Post by The1 »

Alot of Ford injectors are V spray pattern, to me though it seems logical that the better you can atomize to start with the more chance you have of complete combustion. Also on latter PCM's you have control of the injection timing, so you can take advantage of the tiny droplets.

On my ecotec for example at idle i now injecting 20 degrees later and give it less time to sit in the runners and the idle quality is far better.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

JA2Z wrote:My old man was saying that the Injectors he used for racing would spray a sweep ring like a spiral around the back of the valve. he has an old book on the technology he's going to try and dig it up and I'll post some data/images if people are interested.
What racing did he do? and yes very interested.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
JA2Z
- VT 5.0L Calais

Post by JA2Z »

He used to build and race sidecar motor bikes, a few years ago now, but he still knows all the engineering stuff which is great. I think he still holds the lap record at Winton Motor Raceway for sidecar.

Honda bought his bladed crank design and his conrods (sitting in our study). He used to run an Motorbike engineering shop in Melbourne.

He has such wacky theories, like building the first ever Jetski Dyno in Australia (which Suzuki bought off him), and he knows all the CRS, Harrop (He used to engineer with Ron), MACE engineering, and a ton of other engineer shops. (that was all 20-30 years ago though, in the 80s-90s)

He's actually my step-dad, so I've only known him for about 5-years.... So I'm, always trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can :)
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

That's awesome
The1

Post by The1 »

Awesome, yeh you try to soak up any info especially in the old guys who knew how to use anything for everything!
JA2Z
- VT 5.0L Calais

Post by JA2Z »

This is our study:
IMG_2351.JPG
And only some of the trophies on display (he has the rest in storage):
IMG_2352.JPG
JA2Z
- VT 5.0L Calais

Post by JA2Z »

I very much appreciate all your guys' input and experience too. I find this forum to be one of the best around :)