Tuning The Delco In Realtime
JA2Z
cars: - WH II 5.7L Statesman (daily)
- VT 5.0L Calais
- 1994 Ford Probe V6 DOHC
- 2007 Ford Focus TDCI 2.0

Re: VT V8 304 MAF NVRAM -> VS V8 MAP NVRAM + M122 SC Convers

Post by JA2Z »

When ordering the ECU on eBay I was looking for one that came with a memcal, but most seemed to say the memcal wasn't included, but I noticed the sticker over the memcal cover on this one and I'm pleased to say that I was right in guessing this one had the factory memcal inside :punk:

Hopefully you guys will enjoy the build.

Will be fun to see which is easier to get good results and which one ends up being the most cost effective.
IMG_2157[1].JPG
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

BWCS is a Police memcal for a VS V8.
JA2Z
- VT 5.0L Calais

Post by JA2Z »

Sorry for any confusion MAGP, I'm trying to not be biased.

Thanks for your input, and yes your post did make me think about trying the higher scale MAF route, because I didn't want to waste my current NVRAM hardware and I had read in The1's write up about the larger volume MAFs and that his code works with them once scaled. which I will have to work out how to scale, as it didn't say anything more than that about getting it to work. I assuming his extended bin works as the MAF Hz exceed 16KHz

My old 1994 VR V6 with a SC14 Side-mount Toyota blower did use a Blow-off valve because it was feeding into the TB like CAPA's kits. Lucky it was MAP because it wouldn't have worked otherwise. :turbo:
My_VR_V6_SC14.jpg
I'm surprised not really anyone else does Vally-cover mounted Blower kits for the 5.0L Holdens. Yellaterra do a whipple kit, but it's a million dollars for the most basic kit.

Everyone else seems to only do centriflugal blowers which are less parasitic, but miss the point of being a blower, and have a less linear boost curve compared to a roots type. so you may as well go turbo at that point.

I'm keen to test these both so I can get the mill onto the intake.... I may have to buy a spare just to play and have a factory backup.
JA2Z
- VT 5.0L Calais

Post by JA2Z »

Sweet, so a bonus Police memcal :D

I'm only using it for the Knock sensor filter as the VT has a knock sensor from factory, I believe without it, the NVRAM will not be able to use the Knock Sensor and I'll have to setup BKRTD instead.

Underneath the "Retro- fitted by HSV" Sticker was: BWFU, which I assume is just the Statesman/Caprice factory memcal?
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

Was the VR a CRS (Castlemaine Rod Shop) kit?
BWFU is a bog stock 165 kw memcal for VS series 2. The Statesman/Caprice doesn't have a different memcal to the rest of the Commodore range.
JA2Z
- VT 5.0L Calais

Post by JA2Z »

Yep, it was a great kit,

Originally a basic non-intercooled 4psi CRS kit.

Later I installed plumbing and a front mount IC, got a green foam tune to suit 2-Bar, 70mm TB, and 42lb injectors.
(As per picture)

Then I milled a 10psi pully, without the clutch. Which worked awesome, and infact my calcs were a little off and it ended up being 12-psi at WOT (potentially because of the bigger IC)

I sold the kit when I moved to NSW because of their mod restrictions.

I can't believe the stock internals held up to 12psi, although I doubt the VE of the motor allowed for 12psi to ever fill the cyls, I had tuned genie headers, but factory cam, so there was probably 2-4psi artificial psi in the plenum.

Now I'm back in Vic hence the FI mods on my VT.
JA2Z
- VT 5.0L Calais

Post by JA2Z »

Here's the photos of me rebuilding the motor after the stock spider retainer failed and the Lifters started munching the cam lobes:

Bottom End:
IMG_7998.jpg

Bits:
IMG_7999.jpg
IMG_8001.jpg
IMG_8002.jpg
IMG_8005.jpg
IMG_8007.jpg
JA2Z
- VT 5.0L Calais

Post by JA2Z »

Block Populated with Freshly ported and ground heads and Freshly ground valves, New Morel Tie Lifters so I never have the spider lifter issue again, new rods and a 3314 Crow Cam:
IMG_8035.jpg
All bolt ons:
IMG_8047.jpg
Now to wait for the remaining parts to come so I can setup both ECU/PCMs on the stock motor, before I go into all the FI mods
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

Running a BOV (assuming it is being used in the usual way) isn't actually a problem with a MAF system, you just install the MAF between the throttle body and the compressor (and BOV, which should be plumbed back into compressor inlet).
when you drop the throttle your are likely to be in DFCO too when the BOV triggers anyway, assuming the electric bypass is used to unload the compressor when it isn't required.
JA2Z
- VT 5.0L Calais

Post by JA2Z »

Have you ever found the compressed air to be too heated to cool the MAF wire within the PCM IAT limits, especially in turbo applications? or does it scale enough to get accurate enough calcs?

I know MAFs can be far superior at very low air flow (and at idle) conditions, ADR compliance being so tough is why R&D teams are forced to use them to meet emissions specs, (same as O2 sensors and Canisters, none of those are for power, they are all for emissions control) but I've always belived that MAP achieves more accurate results under heavy/WOT and boost conditions.

I'm keen to see the logs to compare and actually know first hand using the same motor.

------------------------------

If I want to get the MAF signal also into VR/VS ECU for logging and comparision, would I use D10 and modify the ADX to log it?

D8 = Wideband O2 input
D10 = MAF signal (for logging) ????

Similarly, I'm assuming I would use B10 on the VT PCM for MAP/Boost Monitoring (as per The1's Mod Info. PDF)?

A5 = Wideband O2 input
B10 = MAP/Boost