Recording Glitch

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
v6bucket

Recording Glitch

Post by v6bucket »

I was tuning the Dato on Saturday, & while it was doing a power run(on the dyno) around the 3000 rpm area, the screen would freeze & the recording would stop then restart on the run down, which makes it had to check things at full noise. I didn't notice it until the last run, I was fixed on the O2 meter & oil pressure on the dash. I'm using a VL400 RS232 cable, NVRam 808ecm & HP 250 g5 notebook i5. Is this the laptop not keeping up or some other issue? I do have a V2 Logger as well but didn't have it connected, thinking that I could view the logs on the laptop later unaware that the parts I need to check are blank.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Recording Glitch

Post by antus »

Thats usually a physical missfire and the electrical noise from the spark arcing where its not meant to interfears with the comms to the laptop. Check the high voltage side of your ignition, plugs etc.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Plugs are new, we had a brand new one fail, so fitted another set before the last run up on the dyno. I'll get him to fit some leads, maybe coils also.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Resistor plugs too
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Ferrite bead on the USB cable? I got caught with this once because I picked up the wrong USB cable (didn't have the bead on it) plugged in the correct lead and it was fine.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Ive seen arcing across the coilpacks between the terminal and its ground plate from bad insulation at the end of the lead connector cause this. That one was identified after running it up in the dark and could see the arcing.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Biggvl wrote:Ferrite bead on the USB cable? I got caught with this once because I picked up the wrong USB cable (didn't have the bead on it) plugged in the correct lead and it was fine.
I'm using an RS232 cable, which I don't think has a bead on it, I'll check it when I get my ecu back tomorrow.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

No bead on RS232 cables, it does not matter as much as USB which is far more fragile.

As above, resistor plugs and spiral wound leads are a must on any EFI vehicle.

Could also be your laptop going in to hard drive protection mode from the vibration.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Thanks VL400, it
has resistor plugs, leads I'm not sure.