Tuning The Delco In Realtime
h4x0r

Please help me with my idle tune

Post by h4x0r »

304 with '424 Gumtree purchase running 11p
Custom made camshaft specs unknown
Siemens deka 60lb
2bar map
Fuel pressure gauge shows consistent 3bars.

It idles around 57kpa and was hunting. So I made the following edits to the stock 11p tune:

Injector settings for siemens deka 60lb
Idle rpm 850
Idle spark 28deg
deadband faster reaction settings
enable 2bar map

I'm trying to adjust the throttle stop screw to achieve 20 iac steps but lowest I can get is around 60 with throttle stop screw fully in and its still hunting. Does this mean I am idling too rich and just can't get enough air?

Also I can't get my electric fans to turn on. I lowered the turn on temp to 60deg but they don't come on. They do work in diagnostic mode though.
Attachments
OSE_$11P V104 BLCC V8 2bar 60lb.BIN
(64 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
13Nov17 - New Idle settings.xdl
(188.86 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Please help me with my idle tune

Post by vlad01 »

Probably a combo of both, sounds like not enough air as one problem. A common trick it to drill a hole in the throttle plate as seen on many factory cars including LS. Also in my experience is sometimes tuning the fuel around idle with a bigger cam there often is a delay from commanded fuel and it finally reaching the WB and then the WB response time on top as well make a situation that you end up tuning either a rich spot or lean spot which is self positive feedback with hunting making tuning by the WB throw it out even more, making it hunt more and so on.

I often found it to be a lean and rich spikes diagonal from each other where the hunting loops through. Sometimes you need to forget the data and numbers and looks at the pattern in the VE table and fix up the idle area to look more logical. Basically smoothing it out to the average in the surrounding area. That should help a heap.

Can you take a screen shot and post your VE table?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

idle-ve-table.png
idle-ve-table.png (10.62 KiB) Viewed 8168 times
I hope this is what you want. I'm 100% brand new to efi and i'm completely self taught from this forum. I'm super proud just to get this thing started and running.
Attachments
map-ve-table.png
map-ve-table.png (37.15 KiB) Viewed 8168 times
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Do you have any wideband readings to go off? Are they being logged?
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

Dylan wrote:Do you have any wideband readings to go off? Are they being logged?
Yeah I have 14point7 fitted. Its logging around 14.2 ~ 14.5. Log file is attached in first post.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

That seems lean for a cammed engine...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yeah I agree, I would aim for around 13:1, but it may well be that its not in closed loop idle and using the main table which is about what you have for those areas on the table, ok to cruise on but useless to be idling on that.

I can't recall exactly but I thing there is a scalar somewhere to tell it when it is to use closed loop idle, like the kpa it suppose to expect for idle I think?. You can see in the main dash there is a block called "close loop idle" it goes green when its active. that will tell you what its doing.

Otherwise the cells in the VE table look right for the engine, nothing too out of the ordinary.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

Biggvl wrote:That seems lean for a cammed engine...
With 20deg timing it was in the 13:1 range I increased timing to 28deg and it went 14.2:1 and the hissing/sucking sounds got worse. With this tune I have to open the throttle for it to start. I might take the timing back out and have another try.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

did the Kpa drop when you did that?
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

vlad01 wrote:did the Kpa drop when you did that?
No kpa is staying consistently around the 57kpa mark regardless of timing. I don't see fluctuations at all.