A2A Tuning Questions, Delco RT

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
BrendenR
cars: VT L67

A2A Tuning Questions, Delco RT

Post by BrendenR »

First time tuning, qualified mechanic (semi retired due to injury)

About to fit an old steel A2A plate on my 98 VT L67 that I acquired from a back shed. Think it was about 39mm thick with 2.5" inlet outlet, was going to fit 6.3mm insulators top and bottom to space out 52mm so I can use a MACE bolt and injection spacer kit. Have a 520x300x68 FMIC and pipe to suit.

Currently 10psi pulley, planning to go 14.5 (smallest without milling the snout????)

Getting NVRAM, have the ALDL cable already.

Wideband??? Can I get away with the factory O2 seonsors or is an aftermarket a must? If so whats the best cheap gauge other's have used and is this just used for tuning reference or is it inline with old ones??

For ease of tuning with the Delco I was planning to move the throttle body, MAF and IAT to after the intercooler and weld up the boost bypass port in the A2A plate to stop unmetered air... To deal with boost pressure before the throttle bodies new position after the blower should I just mill the base of the M90 to allow it to bypass internally? Delete the boost bypass and fit a BOV after the supercharger? Or combination of internal bypass and BOV?

Throttle body, MAF & IAT... Anyone know of a 68mm TB thats cheap I can inline with my IC pipe? Is there a MAF with IAT combination I can run to make things easier or stick with factory MAF and a new IAT that will go in IC pipe under pressure better?

If there is anything anyone can think of else that may be of help to make the task any less painless or make the car a little better to start or drive please input. Also if we have a A2A tuning Jedi thats happy to chat on messenger or phone send me an inbox would love a brain to pick.

Any ideas on expected power I should be able to achieve? CAI, big extractors to single 3" highflow factory cam but thinking about a set of 1.91s
VX L67 Getrag

Re: A2A Tuning Questions, Delco RT

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

You can go A LOT smaller pulley than that without milling(from memory somewhere around 19Psi).

WIDEBAND is a must, your going to struggle hard enough with wild swings of air unmetered(till maf catches up) to tune out with a2a & then for safety up top is definitely recommended!

The LS7 card style maf in the pvc(or similar) pipe with IAT internal is probably best & easiest, but genuine(non chinese fake) are a hard thing to know if o.k.

I've always just left the factory bypass working.
L67PSI
cars: L67 VT Calais

Post by L67PSI »

Taken from Mace website https://www.maceengineering.com.au/Snou ... ing-Tool-1

Fitting any of our pulleys that are 2.9" and smaller in diameter will require the snout to be machined down.
BrendenR

Post by BrendenR »

Thought that was the case, Maces 14psi is 3", I think I seen someone had a 14.5 but I will probably just stick with 14 to leave a little room for end float.

So looking at MAFs, Any of the LS 5wire mafs from the GM trucks or similar should do the trick?

Having 2.5" intercooler piping and running the TB, MAF on the cold side, am I better off trying to keep the TB and MAF the same diameter if possible? Or is it better to flare it out and do a 3 or 4 inch section to let the air slow down a bit an meter better? Was thinking maybe a merc or bmw MAF at closer to 2.5" might work, I know a company that specializes in them that might be able to get one to spec for me if I know roughly what to look for in resistance/frequency etc
krusty
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid

Post by krusty »

72mm pulley is the smallest you can go without needing to machine the snout and a great size for relatively risk free tuning. Will do really well also as you should not outflow the stock L67 injectors so will be really forgiving to learn on.
BrendenR

Post by BrendenR »

Awesome, was wondering how close I would be on the injectors, I think I read somewhere they are pretty good until about 16psi then want swapping out but cant remember exactly.

Am I correct that I will have to delete the boost bypass in my A2A plate if I'm running single throttle body on the cold side and either mill to internally recycle boost or fit a BOV??? Not having a TB on the charger side with that still open is just going to make the engine suck air thats not metered and is also not restricted to flow until vacuum drops won't it? I would need twin TBs or leave the TB and just move MAF and IAT but would prefer them combined and before the TB to stop air pulses.
BrendenR

Post by BrendenR »

cars: VY s L67
Haines Hunter - not a car but still a toy

Post by 0081 »

Have you looked at the hybrid a2a w2a cooler, using the a2a plate to feed a external w2a cooler.
Its pretty much the best of both worlds short piping and great intake temps?

I know maf and the A2A plate is difficult to tune bit for the work and effort to relocate the throttle body it may be easier to just leave the throttle body in the stock location and get some help with the idle side of thing from someone that can tune the maf where it normally lives. Once thats sorted yoy can take over with the rest of the runing if you wanted to.

That maf should work or another popular one is 85mm ls2 i think it is
BrendenR

Post by BrendenR »

No, haven't heard of hybrid A2W2A cooling :wtf:
I picked up and mounted a 530x300x68 FMIC for $60 so will use that for now but if 14psi dont kill my bottom end a snout machine to 20psi and a W2A cooler might end up poking though the bonnet... Once bottom ends gone I'm probably going to go SBC400 so trying to do budget build till then...

Relocation of the MAF and TB won't be much work at all with everything off to mount my IC pipes and A2A plate. Was thinking this would be best for all round tuning as the car will be used street, strip and pad so the outgoing air temps from the FMIC may vary heaps if I go from running a 13 (hopefully 12.8 but I'm realistic) to spinning on the pad as there will be little to no air running through the FMIC, thermos will be on but I reckon they will stuggle to do much for the front mount as there's also a small trans cooler infront so I have like 20" of radiators to try get air through.

Wondering if anyone else has experimented with FMIC outgoing temps HWY vs Chucking some nuts.
BrendenR

Post by BrendenR »

Oh and then I can also move my air box to the inlet of the charger having every thing in the IC pipes, thought about removing the rear 90 degree pipe and mounting my pod against the firewall in a box and put a big ass scoop on to feed it.... Should whine like a pig then ;) gotta see what room I'm playing with after the charger is lifted on the plate though.