looking for help// guidance on my first tune

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
InspectorCabbage
cars: Holden Commodore 96 Ute L67 Getrag
Holden Statesman 97 Ecotec
Holden Commodore 95 VR ute 5lt auto

looking for help// guidance on my first tune

Post by InspectorCabbage »

Hey i just got my NVRam, havent got a wideband yet will be in a month hopefully.
mods ill be tuning for is a LS1 Maf, 3'5 intake, mace CAI box, 1.9 ratio rockers, a ported Sc, a 69mm TB and a intermediate intercooler.
its a l67 that ive converted to a getrag manual, using VS_V6_SC_$51_Enhanced_v1.0e.zip, you guys have to give me any tips or pointers were to start, ive read almost all the guides i can find and im still rather unsure what i can do being that its maf as most values are different on guides

cheers
Wade
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Re: looking for help// guidance on my first tune

Post by Wade »

Tuning with enhanced is pretty straight forward and easy. You don’t really need to change any of the maf settings. Start by fitting a wideband and making sure there’s no offset and that it’s actually reading correctly. Than get the car to operating temp, both intake air temp and coolant temp at operating temp and keep them as stable as possible. Then use the injector multipliers and the spread sheet to dial in the fuelling while always keeping an eye out for knock. I’m sure the other guys on here can help out with what target afr’s work better ect. There’s plenty of things that make a difference and to many to go through. You’ll also find you may like tuning things a little different to others. Take small steps and have fun
InspectorCabbage
cars: Holden Commodore 96 Ute L67 Getrag
Holden Statesman 97 Ecotec
Holden Commodore 95 VR ute 5lt auto

Post by InspectorCabbage »

okay cheers Wade, ill be getting a wideband soon so guess better to wait till then haha
so using the enhanced i wont need to change any maf stuff with installing a LS1 maf sensor?
no offsets? is that a table in tuner pro?
with the injector part when you say spread sheet is that the in tunerpro aswell?
and do i need to worry about spark advancement/ retard?

cheers
Wade
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Post by Wade »

Nah not really. If you find the fuelling is off after fitting the ls1 afm than just change the injector multiplier to suit. I normally just use the maf spread sheet and enter there starting point and then copy just those changes over. I’ve uploaded both a vy clubsport tune and vz ssz tune into efi live and found there really wasn’t much difference between the ls1 maf and the later silver badged Delphi maf. Starting point is 1500 from memory on the ls1 maf’s and 1890 or something on the v6’s. That should put the timing back on par. Or you could just leave the maf settings alone and move all your ignition timing maps over 1 or 2 rows to the left if you wanted to play it safe. As for offsets with your wideband, no that’s not a setting in tunerpro. If you don’t wire it up properly and it’s not grounded at the correct locations ect you can get offsets meaning your actual afr reading may be off what it’s saying it actually is. With the injector multipliers you’ll that the1 has included spread sheet in his files. Do when you downloaded his enhanced code you should see the spread sheets ie tuning helpers. You also need to turn off other things in the tune while you are tuning as well. Can’t remember off the top of my head what there all labeled under atm but pretty much you want to force open loop, turn off lean cruise and dfco ect other wise that stuff will show up in your logs. Be smooth with throttle application and try targeting certain parts. You may need to hold gears or use hills to hit as many load and rpm points as you can. If you see any knock retard in the log then set tunerpro to runing maximum and remove the same amount of timing that knock retard removed in those same areas. 2deg of knock retard ain’t all that much but 4 on up is starting to get up there. If you find that no matter how much timing you remove you just keep getting retard in that same place no matter what it may be false, but always play it safe.