Connecting NVRAM troubles

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
Fozadore5ltr
cars: 1998 Subaru Forester 5ltr

Connecting NVRAM troubles

Post by Fozadore5ltr »

I have managed to get my NVRAM and comms kit to connect and emulate on ignition but as soon as the car is started it flashes from connected to failed and starts racking up errors and shows no data. The car runs but terribly and not as per the tune as I have put the same tune on a separate memcal and it runs OK. I have stacked and burnt the bin to the NVRAM so could I have possibly done it wrong? Any suggestions on where I should start would be great. This is the closest I've got to having it all working so I feel I'm so close but something dumb I've done is stopping me. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help

Nicky
Fozadore5ltr

Re: Connecting NVRAM troubles

Post by Fozadore5ltr »

Here are a few pics of what's going on
Attachments
IMG_20191031_203410.jpg
IMG_20191031_203400.jpg
IMG_20191031_203335.jpg
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Don't enable emulation and don't fit the write enable jumper until you can get stable logging with no errors it's just asking for it to corrupt the nvram.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Fozadore5ltr

Post by Fozadore5ltr »

So I think I may have corrupted the NVRAM. When I'm stacking the bin to suit NVRAM is it just 4 of the 32b file on top of each other? Or am I doing it wrong? No point chasing problems when I may not have the bins correctly installed. I'm just using the OSE xdf adf and bin from here to keep it simple until I can manage to get it working.
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

If it's fine ignition on but plays up when running it will be electrical noise from the car, IE ignition system.

Make sure your using a USB cable with ferrite bead.

Make sure your car has a good charged battery, good engine earth to battery and is charging properly.

Make sure your ignition system is in good condition. Plugs/leads cap and rotor are good.

Fit a condensor/capacitor for noise suppression to the positive side of the coil and output of alternator if it doesn't have one already
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
Fozadore5ltr

Post by Fozadore5ltr »

The USB cable I'm using is the one supplied with my comms kit from antus on here. I charged the battery full the night before after reading that on another post. I have new plugs/leads but my dizzy is what came with the motor when I bought it a few years back. I assume its OK? How do I go about fitting a condenser/capacitor? Is it simple like solder in line?? Thanks for your help
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I agree with the posts in the other thread ( viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6550 ) but lets continue talking on this one. The 3 bar map sensor? Is that correct? If it is correct, have you got the bin set up for 3 bar? When your cranking, can you take a log, and if so you can see when the log cuts out? Is it when the engine comes up to speed, or as soon as the key hits the on position?

As for stacking bins, thats only when you are writing to the nvram directly as its larger than is required. The idea (for a 32kb tune) is 32kb is blank (or another copy of the tune just to fill the space), then the 32kb tune for Map A, then another 32kb of space, then another copy of the tune for MAPB (selectable with the MAP_SW jumper on the nvram). Usually its easier to just use the _stacked bin files that come with the 12p download. Then upload your calibration with the pcm in the car and the engine not started. If you want a backup copy, key off the car, change the MAP_SW, key on the car (not started) and upload the calibration again. Then power off and set the MAP_SW jumper where it is. This gets you the same result without having to think about the stacking process.

Normally for tuning you would just have a single 32kb copy of the tune on your computer loaded, you would be connected to the car, emulating, and when you make changes and hit upload the changes go to the car, and save they go to the bin file on disk.

I dont think you've corrupted the nvram because it works until you start the car. I think either your hardware setup is wrong (correct #CYL set on the nvram?), in the tune - right reference angle, injector rate, map sensor config? Maybe a basic setting is so far wrong that the fuel is so far out its causing misfiring which is the cause of electrical noise. Or it could be a wiring fault that causes the computer to shut down as soon as the car is on. Can you log with the iginition on log but without cranking it?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Fozadore5ltr

Post by Fozadore5ltr »

The 3 bar map sensor is wrong I believe. I'm just running whatever a stock holden 304 runs. I must have used the incorrect adx or xdf? I think I can take a log, I'm going to be home soon so will try then. With ignition in on position everything works perfectly but as soon as engine cranks or is running connection fails and errors start stacking up. The starter motor is wired separately as the car is a subaru forester with 304 conversion. Should I try running the car and then connecting? It has a 286 cam and high comp but will run on a stock tune. I believe I have the wrong adf and xdf and possibly wrong bin. Are you able to send me the ones i should be using? And the correctly stacked stock bin ready to program on the NVRAM as I know I can successfully program with the tl866II you recommended me earlier in the year, but I think I've not stacked the bins correctly when I re programmed the NVRAM. I think going right back to basics is possibly what I need to do.
Fozadore5ltr

Post by Fozadore5ltr »

here is a log recorded from when it is connected correctly then started. what do I use to view the information? is it tunerpro or another program?
Attachments
firstlog.xdl
(4.27 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
Fozadore5ltr

Post by Fozadore5ltr »

another log on from ignition on to start up
Attachments
2nd log.xdl
(5.42 KiB) Downloaded 341 times