Connected ALDL cable lost all power

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
TorqueItUp

Connected ALDL cable lost all power

Post by TorqueItUp »

Hi everyone. Been reading the forum a long time trying to understand as much as possible before proceeding but this is my first post. Not even sure if I'm posting in the right place.

So I've installed a PCMhacking NVRAM in to a M90 Supercharged VT, A2A, 13PSI, stock injectors. Vehicle started first go but even when warm it stalls on the slightest touch of the accelerator. Obviously it needs tuning.

I've gone over and over the instructions for set up. I've plugged the ALDL cable in to my ALDL plug, turned the ignition on and Tunerpro said it was connected.

I attempted to start the car, it turned over a full revolution, and that was it. Now I have nothing. No ignition lights. Nothing.

Not ideal. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.
delcowizzid

Re: Connected ALDL cable lost all power

Post by delcowizzid »

Turn vats off in the tune if it isn't already the aldl cable probably tied up the data bus so it couldn't pass the vats check
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
TorqueItUp

Post by TorqueItUp »

Cheers Delcowizzid. Unfortunately the car has no power since attempting to start it with the ALDL cable plugged in. I unplugged the cable after turning the ignition off and she's dead. No ignition lights. No crank. Was starting and idling fine until I plugged in the ALDL cable and attempted to start it. Just starting out. All I wanted to do was just see it working. Not happy.

It's been raining pretty constantly since I posted and I haven't even started trawling for issues with a multimeter. Was just wondering if anybody might've had a similar experience, maybe somewhere to start. Might save some hunting.
TorqueItUp

Post by TorqueItUp »

I think I might have this solved. I'll post back but I think it's a completely unrelated issue and a coincidence. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Long story short, it's the original 20+ year old battery terminals on the starter loom and the neg side broke while fitting the battery this week. It's been good enough to start it every time and while it's the first thing I planned to get done once I'm mobile it hadn't been an issue in the driveway.

I was thinking about what Delcowizzid said and I thought, doesn't the NVRAM come with VATS turned off anyway? Then I thought I'd go out and plug in again anyway despite having serious doubts about my ability to connect now. Didn't realise the laptop was almost flat and it died before I could do a thing.

Just checking for a miracle (as you do) I turned the ignition to on and a little flash came from the right window on the cluster. So I turned it off, back to on, and on came the ignition lights. Turned to "Start" and lights off. Then it hit me. I bet that broken terminal that was just squeezed down has shaken loose. Heavens opened up again. I'll have a look as soon as I can and post the result but I'm 98% that's what it'll be.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Probably, kinda hard to lose ALL power because something on the aldl line. Sounded like a batt terminal/cable issue. :)
TorqueItUp

Post by TorqueItUp »

Yeah that was it.

In-Tech, if you knew the way this thing has fought me honestly it wouldn't surprise me if I plugged in the ALDL cable and it caused a disturbance in the space-time continuum. OK, maybe that's a stretch but it really was yet another, "Oh now what the.." moment.

And another, after some minor panic, sorted. Now I can start looking at this black magic tuning stuff. No doubt I'll be back with more questions. Pretty soon I'd reckon.