GM E38 E67 E40 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
In-Tech

Re: GM E38 E67 Kernel/Bootloader Development Extravaganza

Post by In-Tech »

I'm close to being able to do a full report. I re-programmed a 2007 saturn e38 to a 2011 camaro file, all 8 modules. I sent it along(shipped 8 hours away from me) with the correct ecm for my bud to try. and then it had some BS de-capped injectors, and then it had o2 wiring issues, and then and then and then. The clone did start and run and the throttle worked but have not been able to drive it yet. Very soon though for a full test.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

In-Tech wrote:I'm close to being able to do a full report. I re-programmed a 2007 saturn e38 to a 2011 camaro file, all 8 modules. I sent it along(shipped 8 hours away from me) with the correct ecm for my bud to try. and then it had some BS de-capped injectors, and then it had o2 wiring issues, and then and then and then. The clone did start and run and the throttle worked but have not been able to drive it yet. Very soon though for a full test.
Excellent, keen to hear the results!

I fitted a 2016 E38 into my 2009 ute. Cloned my ECU into the E38, then SPS using my cars VIN to update the Slave OS/Cal and all works perfectly.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

Highlander wrote:
Tre-Cool wrote:I would be happy to "splash some cash" if we could get the later E38 ecu's to work in place of the earlier 64lb injector limited E38's.

Apparently it can be done & I don't think there is anything special about it since someone sell's it as a upgrade for the corvette's.
https://dsxtuning.com/collections/tunin ... 6585401424
They're 2010+ hardware that's flashed with a specially modified operating system, and then the VIN is forced to match your vehicle. The 08+ are super easy to do. 06-07 is what is a lot trickier to accomplish without wiring changes, but I've managed to make it work.

The major advantages are the increased airflow and injector flow rate limits, but there are other additions like the O2 integrator delay, adjustable axis labels, and a few others. These things also help cure the annoying 08 Z06 shutdown issue.
In fact i have a friend with one of these older e38 corvette's that we really need to do an ecu upgrade on before we put a new badder motor in, along with my brother's car.

I do know you need to swap the throttle bodies when using the different ecu years, but i guess if you can flash in the older ecu slave & immo data into a new ecu, then maybe that would keep it as a plug'n'play solution?

Or maybe we just need to put the new os into the older ecu's?
Depending on the year its just a matter of changing a few of the switches for the clutch and certain other things to work. its a direct swap.
Christian isn't it? I might send you an email as you have done some cax files for me before in efilive. I know for sure when i tried my brothers car apart from immobilizer it would def need to the different clutch switch parameter done. I imagine same thing for the corvette.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Tazzi wrote:
In-Tech wrote:I'm close to being able to do a full report. I re-programmed a 2007 saturn e38 to a 2011 camaro file, all 8 modules. I sent it along(shipped 8 hours away from me) with the correct ecm for my bud to try. and then it had some BS de-capped injectors, and then it had o2 wiring issues, and then and then and then. The clone did start and run and the throttle worked but have not been able to drive it yet. Very soon though for a full test.

I fitted a 2016 E38 into my 2009 ute. Cloned my ECU into the E38, then SPS using my cars VIN to update the Slave OS/Cal and all works perfectly.
Well, this is a PIA being so far away from a project. :wall: The slaved puter from the Saturn is only driving 6 injectors, however, it is driving all 8 coils. I can't imagine GM populating all 8 coil drivers but only 6 injector drivers in this e38. All the v8 e38 pinouts I have found show the same connection at the ecm regardless of the year. Am I the lucky ebay recipient of an e38 with two bad drivers? This just bumps my list of things to do, the LED board I got to check an ECM/PCM on the bench using the crank/cam signal generator.
Highlander
cars: Z06

Post by Highlander »

How did you flash the other 2 modules?
Highlander
cars: Z06

Post by Highlander »

In-Tech wrote:
Tazzi wrote:

Well, this is a PIA being so far away from a project. :wall: The slaved puter from the Saturn is only driving 6 injectors, however, it is driving all 8 coils. I can't imagine GM populating all 8 coil drivers but only 6 injector drivers in this e38. All the v8 e38 pinouts I have found show the same connection at the ecm regardless of the year. Am I the lucky ebay recipient of an e38 with two bad drivers? This just bumps my list of things to do, the LED board I got to check an ECM/PCM on the bench using the crank/cam signal generator.
Are you using a JimStim?
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

So I have seen a different Boot OS between a 2006 E38 from a VZ 6.0L V8, its number shows its older although everythign else seems to be in the same regions for parameter block, OS and calibrations.
I did the clone to see if it all works on a older ecu and seems fine, so obviously the boot blocks are made to be compatible I would say.

I had to update the supported boot block OS's since its used for helping identify the E38s.

I have been super busy with reverse engineering global A GM BCM stuff recently but am back onto the ECU stuff again now :thumbup:
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Highlander, my bud has been having me experiment writing the last two modules and so far so good, more on that later, next step is to read the last 2 modules and make a database. Your second question was if I was using a jimstim, I am using a homebuilt ardu-stim for crank/cam signal generation. The jimstim looks cool but I had already built this before I knew that one existed. I did buy the jimstim expansion board to build an ecu and harness tester. https://www.diyautotune.com/product/jim ... assembled/

Back to the clone stuff...Soooooo I grabbed another v-6 saturn(might have been an equinox) e38 and cloned it with Tazzi's stuff and it works beautifully, all 8 cylinders :mrgreen: This was quite the intensive distance swap project as it had a big cam, cartridge maf 4" tube, ended up with real ls9 injectors, etc etc. I used as much stuff out of the ZR1 e67 as I could. Massive changes to the e38 camaro 6.2L file I started with.

Just for fun I am getting the original saturn puter that only fired 6 injectors back to disassemble the hardware. But first, before disassembly, I will finish my LED tester(the jimstim expansion board).

Thanks Tazzi, for the awesome software, it sure saved some otherwise worthless paperweights that were tuner locked or parameters section fubar'd. :thumbup:
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

In-Tech wrote:Thanks Tazzi, for the awesome software, it sure saved some otherwise worthless paperweights that were tuner locked or parameters section fubar'd. :thumbup:
Glad its helped out!

Its only the beginning though :thumbup:
julespatch
cars: liberty gen 5

Post by julespatch »

Morning peeps.
I've got one that I couldn't bring back to life. I tried everything I have in my power, SPS paid, SPS Global32, HP, EFI life and the Tazzi tool. EFI could change the vin number but that's as far as it would get.
The OS is a HP custom one i think.
If I've missed something let me know cos I'm pretty sure I bought this one back to life last week - I dont think it was this sick though :)

[07:26:38:941] Checking if kernel already running
[07:26:38:955] Kernel not running
[07:26:38:955] Requesting VIN..
[07:26:38:973] VIN is: 6G1EX55W49L330033
[07:26:38:975] Requesting Serial..
[07:26:38:992] Serial is:
[07:26:39:005] Requesting OS..
[07:26:39:011] Operating System: 1250228
[07:26:39:012] Unknown ECU Connected, Please manually select ECU from Identify dropdown box.
[07:27:13:507] Checking if kernel already running
[07:27:13:517] Kernel not running
[07:27:13:518] Requesting VIN..
[07:27:13:535] VIN is: 6G1EX55W49L330033
[07:27:13:537] Requesting Serial..
[07:27:13:554] Serial is:
[07:27:13:556] Requesting OS..
[07:27:13:560] Operating System: 1250228
[07:27:13:562] Unknown ECU Connected, Please manually select ECU from Identify dropdown box.
[07:27:49:689] Opened file: C:\Users\jd\Desktop\E38 2010.bin
[07:28:03:515] Checking if kernel already running
[07:28:03:804] Kernel not running
[07:28:03:810] Operating System: 1250228
[07:28:03:811] Unsupported Operating System currently on ECU or does not match loaded file ECU type. Write routine cancelled (No programming has occurred).
[07:28:17:428] Checking if kernel already running
[07:28:17:716] Kernel not running
[07:28:17:722] Operating System: 1250228
[07:28:17:724] Unsupported Operating System currently on ECU or does not match loaded file ECU type. Write routine cancelled (No programming has occurred).