Newbie , is it possible to make bench harness Ford?

Ford information and tools can be found here
LSHERO
cars: Gm trucks mostly 3 gen LS

Newbie , is it possible to make bench harness Ford?

Post by LSHERO »

Just made as bench harness for ls engines and get into the swap hobby and help others get ls swaps done. Wanting to know if it's possible and just as easy as lsdroid and tunerpro for Ford's? We have a 2005 mustang with 4.6l and seeing if it's possible to turn vats off and tune a little for a 69 bronco refurb and swap it ? Thanks guys!!!
In-Tech

Re: Newbie , is it possible to make bench harness Ford?

Post by In-Tech »

LSHERO wrote:Just made as bench harness for ls engines and get into the swap hobby and help others get ls swaps done. Wanting to know if it's possible and just as easy as lsdroid and tunerpro for Ford's? We have a 2005 mustang with 4.6l and seeing if it's possible to turn vats off and tune a little for a 69 bronco refurb and swap it ? Thanks guys!!!
Looks like we are fishing in the same pond. I grabbed this pinout info a few days ago. I have almost zero experience with Ford stuff (eec 4 and sct and a chipper years ago) so I will be building a bench harness in the next few days too, any suggestions are definitely appreciated.
99_00_OBD2_Ford_Pinouts.rar
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 409 times
I have a '99 mustang to work on. It is supposedly a supercharged Saleen car and the computer was dead. I found a Saleen computer on ebay and did the PATS and it now starts and runs although quite rich. I'm not sure if the ebay computer is actually a Saleen computer although it has the Saleen stickers on it. The car does have the red top injectors and I have cleaned and flowed them on my flowbench. HpTuners will read the file but then says to contact them and send file so it doesn't let me do anything or look at anything. I grabbed another EEC-V and had a bud program it with a stock program with his benchtop machine that does all sorts of vehicle computers(commercial shop stuff). He programmed it according to the VIN number I provided from the car. Info doesn't show VIN in his software after programming. HpTuners never saw a vin with the EEC-V that was in it nor with the Saleen/Ebay computer. I haven't checked with my OBDLink scanner yet, the car is an hour away.
INFO says:
JKU3
XR3F-12A650-ACD
MLC-462

I friggin hate buying credits and would rather buy more equipment to do whatever I need myself. I've perused Moates site about the ford stuff but am still confused on what to buy. I have a lot of eprom stuff and a Burn2 I bought just to check out the whole 27s512 flash stuff years ago. Quite a few different programmers besides the Burn2. I have a VxDiag interface, a tactrix interface, an AVT852 interface. I would think one of those should be able to talk to the EEC-V.

Is there a quick tutorial on getting started with EEC-V? Communication first obviously, then a .bin editor/software. Freeware is nice but cheapware is fine with me too. I ain't skeert :mrgreen:
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

I'm still reading quite a bit in preparation. This post, viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6602 suggests a KESS interface. I am still hunting around for the .xdf I need, new to this ford stuff so it's taking a bit. Won't the tactrix openport I have work or do I need to buy the KESS? I still have to build a bench harness once I get to the junkyard and cut a connector out of something :shh: Also on the hunt for a reader/writer app using the obd2 port with whatever interface I need. Any help or direction is much appreciated.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

tactrix openport is a J2534 device, which support k-line, kwp2000 and can. You need to be talking to a car on one of those protocols and with software that supports J2534 to do it. Ford is typically PWM and CAN. Kess is proprietry. PCMTec is an Aussie company with good software and good support. viewtopic.php?f=41&t=4940
Other options are fgtech, I dont know a lot about it but I've heard of it being used on some fords. There are XDFs for older fords around. I think PCMTec would likely be your best option, but it'll depend exactly what you want to tune.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Hi antus,
Thanks for the reply. I had been reading the PCMTec thread for a few days a little at a time. It definitely looks like good software. I have lots of experience with GM stuff for over 25 years just not much with Ford. EEC 4 I used to hook my datalogger to the 0-5v Maf and another channel to my 0-5v wbo2 to get that sorted out. I never did much of it though, just had sct chipper software back in the day. I have hptuners I basically use for Ford and of course it isn't near as nice as the PCMTec appears to be. Instead of buying credits I was hoping to find/buy some reader/writer software, find/buy a .xdf and make some edits, burn and go. It looked like the tactrix openport I just bought to test the e38 with tazzi's stuff might work. I bought one of the vxdiag nano's too, it's gm and not sure if the hardware internally is different than their ford version. I've read about the extra pin needing to be held/toggled high for programming and figured I'd tackle that on the bench.

Any suggestions/tips are very appreciated.
-Carl
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Awfully big pictures from my phone, sorry. I ain't skeert yet :mrgreen:
20200513_043811.jpg
20200513_043800.jpg
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Bench harness works, now I gotta figure out how to log some traffic then head to the dealership my bud works at and log some writes. :thumbup:
20200515_074605.jpg
PSM 64

Post by PSM 64 »

If you don't want to build one a PCMFlash powerbox will do the job https://chiptuningshop.com/product/powe ... -pcmflash/
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Thanks for the link, I hadn't looked outside Russia to buy PCMFlash. I tried to buy a "module" and a dongle direct but because of the covid virus I couldn't get the dongle out of Russia without incredibly high shipping charges for something the size of my thumbnail. I'm going to try to make my own interface and software. If I fail I will buy something later. I have HpTuners to do some ford stuff now if I get jammed. I also bought some Moates stuff to play with. Hanging a Quarterhorse off the J3 port and tuning on the fly is really cool. I would prefer to flash the ecu when finished tuning instead of leaving a "chip" hanging on the J3 port, although it seems like many people do this with no problems. I like the PCMTec stuff too but it seems I will have to wait a while till they have more available for the US market.

Anyway, I'm just playing around with it :thumbup:
PSM 64

Post by PSM 64 »

In-Tech wrote:Thanks for the link, I hadn't looked outside Russia to buy PCMFlash. I tried to buy a "module" and a dongle direct but because of the covid virus I couldn't get the dongle out of Russia without incredibly high shipping charges for something the size of my thumbnail. I'm going to try to make my own interface and software. If I fail I will buy something later. I have HpTuners to do some ford stuff now if I get jammed. I also bought some Moates stuff to play with. Hanging a Quarterhorse off the J3 port and tuning on the fly is really cool. I would prefer to flash the ecu when finished tuning instead of leaving a "chip" hanging on the J3 port, although it seems like many people do this with no problems. I like the PCMTec stuff too but it seems I will have to wait a while till they have more available for the US market.

Anyway, I'm just playing around with it :thumbup:
Chiptuningshop and ecutools.eu https://ecutools.eu/chip-tuning/ are the two best shops that carry these softwares and tools that ship to NA.