Installing VT EcoTec in Triumph TR7

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Holden202T

Re: Installing VT EcoTec in Triumph TR7

Post by Holden202T »

it should be the same as a VX L67 I did for firebug, theres two fan relays in the main engine bay fuse box, from memory that fan wiring goes straight from the battery to the fans and through those fuses, then the relays switch the ground side of the circuits.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Those 3 plugs supply power and signals to and from the ecu. Use a multi meter or trace them back to there pins on the ecu. I remove them all together and have them connect near the ecu under the dash on the car heaps neater. Mount the new fuse box under the dash to unless it's being integrated. I've done a couple of VT looms.

There will be a few wires from them not needed to.
Stag76
cars: Triumph TR7 - fitting a VT EcoTec+Auto
Toyota Celica ST185

Post by Stag76 »

I 'm using an oil filter mounting from an American car that uses the L36 engine (Camaro or Cadillac) as the Holden one fouls the "K" member in the conversion I'm doing.
This relocates the oil pressure switch, and it now will not clear the power steering pump pulley.
There is room to clear a small generic type switch, but I don't know if it will work.
The standard switch connects with 3 pins, but there appears to only be a single wire connecting it to the loom.
Does anybody understand the workings of this switch, and can it be replaced with a simple single-wire generic type.
Attachments
2020-06-09 16.05.47.jpg
2020-06-09 16.05.47.jpg (29.27 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
brindo

Post by brindo »

Can’t help with the switch. But is there room to remote mount the original switch using some rated hose and fittings?
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

It's just a SPDT switch basically. On pre ecotec it is wired to both do oil light and backup for the fuel pump, on ecotec it's just wired as an oil light so you can just get a universal oil switch that fits with the same/similar pressure range.

The alternative is you can plug the hole and relocate the original switch to the block, which is just on the side/front of the block above the PS pump, there is a plug there, but also another plug inside the same hole.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

can you not fit a 90 degree fitting in there or something like that ?

the alternative too is run an actualy gauge and then dont worry about the light wire ?
Stag76
cars: Triumph TR7 - fitting a VT EcoTec+Auto
Toyota Celica ST185

Post by Stag76 »

I tried a 90 degree fitting, but still fouled the PS Pulley, then Remote mounting was
to be my next option.
If I can't get a switch small enough to clear the pulley, I think the best option now
is to relocate the switch and plug the existing hole.

Thanks for the replies. :thumbup:
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

As vlad01 said the switch is used for fuel pump relay backup (this system is the only one I have seen it on) and you only need to use one wire for the oil pressure switch so use the generic that you say fits and just delete the added function of the complicated GM oil pressure switch. I can look up the colour of the single wire you need if you don't have a wiring diagram.