Crank Tuning

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Crank Tuning

Post by Dylan »

I don't remember the threshold off hand, but there's two stages of cranking fuel. Stage one is the initial then once that decay's either after time period or meeting an RPM threshold the code reads from the second table.
And from experience I'd scale the first stage as suggested by Vlad then reduce the second stage untill it starts successful.
Remembering that once the engine is above 400rpm it's deemed as running and then these tables aren't in affect.
So if it starts and stalls for example there's other tables to look at.
h4x0r

Post by h4x0r »

Well... My current idea on how crank fueling works

When you first crank the car it gets the BPW from the "First Stage Crank Base Pulse Width vs Coolant Temp" table which is probably also adjusted by the "Injector Opening Time vs Battery Voltage" table. It then uses the Number of reference pulses before "initial crank fuel decay scaler" to subtract the "Crank decay step size (4 mSec for v8 factory). If it cranks pass "Number of ref pulses before secondary crank fuel" scalar then it moves onto the "Second stage crank base pulse width vs coolant temp" table. The the cycle repeats.

So I have managed to get the car to start when its hot!!!!
crank5.PNG
What I did is maxed out the number of reference pulses so it sticks on the First stage table just to get the bpw right. The battery voltage does drop while cranking so I lowered the bpw at lower voltages just incase that was causing it to over fuel.

I think the biggest difference was the fuel decay setting. Factory V8 is 4 mSec I was running 2 mSec and I lowered it to 0.5 mSec. Maybe I missed something in the newbie manual but I'm guessing my 60lb injectors should be 1/3 original which would be 1.33 mSec decay size.

The car is starting hot now. Hopefully I no longer need to pump the throttle open to get it to start.

Out of curiosity does anybody know how many pulses a 304 has per cycle? I assume its the amount of teeth for the dizzy hall effect sensor....?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Fuel decay is to do with timing. im a bit late to this thread, but what i'd normally do is calculate the percentage difference in size between the factory injectors and the new ones, and assuming the same fuel type and fuel pressure, change the stage 1 and 2 tables by that difference.

So if factory is 19lb (?) and the siemens are 60lb, 19/60=0.32, so then highlight all the cells in the stage 1 table and multiply the stock values by 0.32. Repeat for stage 2. In theory with everything else stock, that should be enough.

If your fuel pressure is 20% higher, take another 20% out of the timing.

Its only using this fueling to get the engine moving enough that the regular timing logic will work (above 450rpm) so its not using these tables for very long at all.

Having said all that Im not sure why you had to do what you did, but glad you got it working :thumbup:
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396