Do I need a tune after upgrading the cam in a 6.0?

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
BigBadSubaru
cars: 1968 Dodge Polara convertible
1992 Dodge Ram W250
1999 Subaru Outback
2003 Subaru Outback
2004 Prius
2004 Suburban 2500

Do I need a tune after upgrading the cam in a 6.0?

Post by BigBadSubaru »

So I picked up an 04 Suburban, 3/4 ton 2WD 6.0 that needs a cam (Pretty sure anyway, it's got a wicked lifter tick on #1 and the cam is the only thing that didn't get replaced when the friend I'm getting it from rebuilt the engine) Since it's going to primarily be the tow pig/adventuremobile (I also have a 3/4 ton diesel Dodge 4x4 but getting the wife + baby + baby paraphernalia + camping gear + two dogs in an extended cab pickup sucks) I figured might as well put an upgraded cam in it. (I've narrowed it down to the Melling MTC7 or the stage one kit from Texas Speed and Performance (Leaning towards that one since they include lifters + the gaskets and crank bolt) but what I'm not sure of is how much tweaking, if any, I'll need to do to the ECU maps to fully take advantage of the new bumpstick.

AS far as Stage 1 vs the Stage 2 cam goes, just looking at the specs it says the stage one gives "Excellent" low and torque/hp and the Stage 2 says "Good" low to midrange torque/hp; and I definitely want some low end grunt for towing my RV (it's a 1998 Nash 28 foot); not looking to make a Suburban that will waste a Corvette (although that would be pretty awesome) if anyone has any recommendations on camshafts etc I'm all ears :-) Not new to cars, but most of my Detroit Iron experience is with old school carbureted Mopar and Ford big blocks (and Ford small blocks), EFI stuff is mostly Toyota and Subaru (I was a service tech for Toyota/Subaru from 2007 to 2011, went back to school in 2011 and now I work in IT)

I was definitely excited when I came across the PCM Hammer tool, hopefully between it and the Tuner Pro software I can beef this thing up a bit! Eventual plan is to Duramax + Manual swap it (and possibly add 4WD) but that's down the road..
'quipt4it

Re: Do I need a tune after upgrading the cam in a 6.0?

Post by 'quipt4it »

Hi BigBadSubaru.
Here is a link to a test on what you want.
Also, Richard Holdener is a scream, literally
https://www.facebook.com/BrianTooleyRac ... 480001444/
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

Here are the specs stock vs. BTR cams

2001-07 Stock 6.0 truck cam specs
Duration at .050 in (int./exh) 196/207
Valve Lift (int./exh) 0.467 in./0.479 in.
Lobe Separation Angle (in degrees) 116

Brian Tooley stage 1 V2
Duration 206/212
Lobe Separation @ 112
Valve Inlet .553"
Exhaust .553"

The Texas speed has 6 degrees more on int/exh. plus a 'little' more lift. (stage 2)

BTR will give more TQ @ lower rpms, and will be more tune tolerant because of less duration and overlap if given the same lobe sep.
You can specify lobe sep. on Texas Speed.
To make the most of even a stocker a tune is preferable. Some do exhaust/ CAI without touching the tune.
MAF systems are usually more tolerant of small changes.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya,
Interesting that you come to a pcm hacking site to ask about a mechanical device that won't require a tune, lol.

I'll post a reply, along with dyno sheets, in a couple days that may help. It involved 5 cam changes as well as 3 intake manifolds per cam. I wasn't very critical on my tuning since I knew it would be improved in a vehicle once I had achieved my goals.

BTR, Tick, TexSpd = great LS marketing GARBAGE, sorry for the bluntness. Oh, lol, I used to work at a cam company too. It was to learn why, what and how. It was an incredible learning experience and then got sidetracked into EFI in the early 90's. Kinda funny that my stage 1 cam is over 20 degrees larger at .050" than the BTR stage 2 cam(posted above) and has no valvetrain noise. It's a 100hp increase in a boneyard 5.3. Pretty cool for a stock idle too :thumbup:
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

Hi In-Tech,
Kinda funny that my stage 1 cam is over 20 degrees larger at .050" than the BTR stage 2 cam(posted above)
The BTR Listed was the stage 1 V2 (version2). :hmm:
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Long story short, if you want the best from a cam swap it will need a tune, hell, a stock engine can do with a tune.....
BigBadSubaru
cars: 1968 Dodge Polara convertible
1992 Dodge Ram W250
1999 Subaru Outback
2003 Subaru Outback
2004 Prius
2004 Suburban 2500

Post by BigBadSubaru »

I was just curious how much tweaking I'd need to do to the fuel/timing maps etc to fully take advantage of the new cam... I'm still learning when it comes to tweaking EFI stuff and I've already learned a lot poking around here, just following the thread for the software... Finally picked it up today, got the new cam and other bits in the mail earlier this week, just gotta clean out the garage at my mom and dad's so I can get it in there (it won't fit in my garage unless I park my 68 Polara convertible outside, which I don't want to do in the PNW rainy winter!)