ELM327 Clone to Control IPC w/ VPW/J1850/GM Class 2

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
rcampbellbassac
cars: ◌ Toyota ISIS - the ultimate Japanese car for the radical Islamic State soccer moms

◌ Kolao Sonata - a scooter that requires a little scoot to get it going... But hey, it's got a sidecar!

◌ Honda Wave - because Waves are the only thing you will feel after running into a water buffalo on the road...

◌ Oh, and I have a 2006 H2 Hummer... (pause) cluster. How many parts can you take away before it's no longer a car?

(I plan to hook it up to Simhub, load Farm Simulator 2019, and ride my John Deere in style, peeps!)

ELM327 Clone to Control IPC w/ VPW/J1850/GM Class 2

Post by rcampbellbassac »

Greetings from Laos!

I'm new to here, but after reading, reaching out and asking questions, and trying to wrap my head around this complex subject - I've made a bit of progress, but still have some questions.

Goal
My goal is to manipulate the instrument cluster (IPC) using an ELM327 without the use of a PCM/BCM/etc. I'm doing this to learn more about the protocol and potentially use it as a teaching aid to help teach Lao people about basic electronics and serial communication. I'll be putting the IPC in an enclosure with the ELM327 USB Clone, a 12v power supply, and some additional controls for various lights and whatnot.

Ultimately, I would like to make it so that I could use an application such as SimHub and Farm Simulator 19 to provide the data, convert it over into the correct format, and send that data to the IPC to control the gauges and leds (maybe even send some DIC messages if possible).

IPC
The IPC is from a 2006 H2, I believe? It's a GM cluster 2005/2006 time. I can send photos if needed. (Very similar to the frame in this video: https://youtu.be/WQMHnoe5uWI?t=132)

IPC Wiring
I connected the IPC pins as follows:

A11 -> RED -> POWER FOR ILLUMINATION - 12V
B9 -> 12V Diodes 1&2 Source (IGNITION)
B11 -> 12V Diodes 3&4 Source (BATTERY)

A12 -> BLACK -> GND FOR ILLUMINATION
B12 -> GND

A7 -> GREY -> Data (Not sure why, as I saw lots of info online about using A6, but A6 on my board is not connected).

Additional Parts
I purchased an ELM327 USB Clone off of AliExpress. I don't have great access to other ones, and this isn't the ideal device, but due to COVID and Lao mail, it was the best option I had.
I also purchased a 12v 3a power supply.

ELM327 Wiring
Pins 4 & 5 on the OBD-II Connector were connected to GND. Pin 2 on the OBD-II Connector was connected to the the Grey/A7 data wire. Pin 16 on the OBD-II Connector was connected to 12v power.

I have successfully connected the serial data, watched the device send data to the ELM327, and have done the basic steps to communicate via the ELM327 to the IPC.

Example:

Code: Select all

atl1
ath1
atsh6c60f1
I can monitor traffic via the atma command, which displays a lot of info when the IPC boots up, but replaying that info back doesn't seem to solicit a response.

Question/Request
Given I am not using a PCM/BCM to provide the communication to reference from, does someone have some reference data for VPW GM Class 2 Serial Data?

Logs of data sent to control gauges/leds/dic would be useful, but any data at all would be useful. Ideally, if someone has a Tech 2, and can do sweeps of the gauges and etc, record that data, and send it to me, that would be great! GMLanBible is really for GMLan, and doesn't seem to work with VPW/J1850 commands (at least that's what I've been seeing thus far).

If anyone knows exactly what header I should be setting with the atsh command, that would be great!

Thanks for reading! I hope some of this information will be useful for those exploring this area like myself.
rcampbellbassac
cars: ◌ Toyota ISIS - the ultimate Japanese car for the radical Islamic State soccer moms

◌ Kolao Sonata - a scooter that requires a little scoot to get it going... But hey, it's got a sidecar!

◌ Honda Wave - because Waves are the only thing you will feel after running into a water buffalo on the road...

◌ Oh, and I have a 2006 H2 Hummer... (pause) cluster. How many parts can you take away before it's no longer a car?

(I plan to hook it up to Simhub, load Farm Simulator 2019, and ride my John Deere in style, peeps!)

Re: ELM327 Clone to Control IPC w/ VPW/J1850/GM Class 2

bbmike
cars: Too many!!

Post by bbmike »

6C 60 F1 AE 11 01 01 00 00 00 00, will turn all the lights controlled by the mcu on.
6C 60 F1 AE 20 FF FF 00 00 00 00, will sweep all the gauges to max.
6C 60 F1 AE 21 88 88 00 00 00 00, turns all the pixels in the DIC on.
I’m not sure of the header parts that are specific to the elm327.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions- ... 50vpw.html
This forum post has good info on how to control the individual gauges and lights as well as displaying the different messages on the DIC.
rcampbellbassac

Awesome! Thanks so much! I'll definitely read more up on those commands...

The missing piece was making sure to use AT AL to enable long messages to be sent through the ELM327.

Just for reference for anyone following int my footsteps...

On Linux with Screen installed (Ubuntu/Debian: sudo apt install screen), I issue the command...

screen /dev/ttyUSB0 38400
I'm then connected to the ELM327 clone. Then I run the following commands...

AT L1
AT H1
AT SH 6C 60 F1
AT AL

AE 11 01 01 00 00 00 00
AE 20 FF FF 00 00 00 00
AE 21 88 88 00 00 00 00
AT L1 -> New line after each command
AT H1 -> Enables headers
AT SH [Priority] [Destination] [Sender] -> Sets the Header for Each Command
AT AL -> Enables Long Messages
AE 11 01 01 00 00 00 00 -> Lights up all of the Class 2 controlled LEDs
AE 20 FF FF 00 00 00 00 -> Sweeps the gauges
AE 21 88 88 00 00 00 00 -> Turns on all pixels on the DIC

I hope this helps someone else just starting out!
Fixed until broken
cars: 2002 GMC Sierra

Post by Fixed until broken »

Awesome write up I am going to give a shot at this my BAFX bluetooth dongle. This would be useful for making a script for bench testing clusters.

Have you ever taken a crack at talking GM Class 2 with a Arduino?
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Fixed until broken wrote:Have you ever taken a crack at talking GM Class 2 with a Arduino?
Isn't that what the Arduino directory is in the PcmHammer Repository ... Never played with it.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Fixed until broken
cars: 2002 GMC Sierra

Post by Fixed until broken »

Gampy wrote: Isn't that what the Arduino directory is in the PcmHammer Repository ... Never played with it.
I did see that a few weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I have to many projects on my desk at the moment but I did message NSFW about it since it is his github. He said he didn't know if worked or what really did that Pete wrote it. Planning on trying it out in the next few weeks. I have tested matafonoff's J1850VPW library it didn't work. I Also tried connorwm's project on github. His optocoupler circuit didn't work so I didn't bother with the script he clearly never tested it.

Both of those project I just tested how they wrote it up and didn't deviate to try to force it to work.
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all,

From what I can remember, the Arduino is simply used as an interface - much like using the FTDI232 circuit in an ALDL car.
The Mega 2560 is not used for controlling the PCM.

Mike
rcampbellbassac

Fixed until broken wrote:Awesome write up I am going to give a shot at this my BAFX bluetooth dongle. This would be useful for making a script for bench testing clusters.

Have you ever taken a crack at talking GM Class 2 with a Arduino?
Thoroughly enjoyed the video with the bluetooth version! Well done!

Not yet for Arduino, but I just recently received all of the components to (possibly) do so. I've not assembled it yet though. Getting items to Thailand and Laos from China right now is really slow and complicated. I'm also stronger on the software side than hardware, but working to change that.
betosz71
cars: CHEVY SILVERADO

Post by betosz71 »

I NEED HELP I DONT WANT TO BUY a expensive bidirectional scanner i need help
rcampbellbassac wrote:Awesome! Thanks so much! I'll definitely read more up on those commands...

The missing piece was making sure to use AT AL to enable long messages to be sent through the ELM327.

Just for reference for anyone following int my footsteps...

On Linux with Screen installed (Ubuntu/Debian: sudo apt install screen), I issue the command...

screen /dev/ttyUSB0 38400
I'm then connected to the ELM327 clone. Then I run the following commands...

AT L1
AT H1
AT SH 6C 60 F1
AT AL

AE 11 01 01 00 00 00 00
AE 20 FF FF 00 00 00 00
AE 21 88 88 00 00 00 00
AT L1 -> New line after each command
AT H1 -> Enables headers
AT SH [Priority] [Destination] [Sender] -> Sets the Header for Each Command
AT AL -> Enables Long Messages
AE 11 01 01 00 00 00 00 -> Lights up all of the Class 2 controlled LEDs
AE 20 FF FF 00 00 00 00 -> Sweeps the gauges
AE 21 88 88 00 00 00 00 -> Turns on all pixels on the DIC

I hope this helps someone else just starting out!