ABS Hacking

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
In-Tech

Re: ABS Hacking

Post by In-Tech »

jlvaldez wrote: I'm torn between salvaging as much of my rotating assembly as I can (it's all still good), but "only" getting to a 440 CI LS stroker. Or selling what I can and ponying up for the 468 CI LS stroker...
I've got a 461" RHS block/heads with all the good stuff that we have slowly been putting together. Bill Dailey dry sump, 4.5L Whipple etc etc... ya know, when you're ready to really hurt yourself. :mrgreen:
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

My LS6 had a cam, valve springs, timing chain, timing chain damper, trunnion upgrade, CNC'd heads, Melling oil pump. I'm guessing that a dropped valve shattered the piston but I won't know for sure until I take it apart (maybe not even then). I'm trying to decide between an LS2 and stay wet-sump, or a Golen 454 or HPR 468 with dry sump. I have pretty much settled on a big motor and a dry sump but I want to get the car ready for the swap before I pull the trigger (relocate battery and PCM, upgrade the fuel system).

And in the meantime I worry about doing this again in a few years with a much more expensive motor. But Golen says they warranty their motors, so that would help with the decision. But I haven't looked for the fine print on that warranty yet.

I too have an LS2 TB in the car and a NW102 in a box! I bought a conversion harness from Racetronix a few weeks ago in hopes that the problem was the Torque Rush harness that I used the first time, but we'll see. I'd love to know what you find when you look at the signals. I keep seeing people saying that a good tuner can make a NW102 work, but nobody knows how... and at the same time I see a ton of people with issues and no idea what to do, so I'm pretty sure that nobody really understands the problem. And for some lucky tuners it just works.

Doug Ring said that the LS3 TB works (at half the cost of the LS2 silver blade) if you tell the PCM to only open it 88-90% (and it will actually open 100%), so I wonder if something like that will work for a NW102? I haven't experimented with it at all yet.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Gampy wrote:
NSFW wrote:Apparently this car hacking stuff has side effects that nobody ever anticipated.
Especially when they start hacking themselves ... :(
No doubt! Somebody referred to the remaining pieces of his broken piston as "secondary forgings" and I have a lot of those, mostly pea-sized. It's impressive how thoroughly it disintegrated. And how much of it landed in the intake manifold.

I think it was Andre from HP Academy.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
jlvaldez
cars: '01 - Corvette Z06
'20 - Sierra Denali
'03 - Volvo S80 T6
'16 - Accord V6

Post by jlvaldez »

NSFW wrote:My LS6 had a cam, valve springs, timing chain, timing chain damper, trunnion upgrade, CNC'd heads, Melling oil pump. I'm guessing that a dropped valve shattered the piston but I won't know for sure until I take it apart (maybe not even then). I'm trying to decide between an LS2 and stay wet-sump, or a Golen 454 or HPR 468 with dry sump. I have pretty much settled on a big motor and a dry sump but I want to get the car ready for the swap before I pull the trigger (relocate battery and PCM, upgrade the fuel system).

And in the meantime I worry about doing this again in a few years with a much more expensive motor. But Golen says they warranty their motors, so that would help with the decision. But I haven't looked for the fine print on that warranty yet.

I too have an LS2 TB in the car and a NW102 in a box! I bought a conversion harness from Racetronix a few weeks ago in hopes that the problem was the Torque Rush harness that I used the first time, but we'll see. I'd love to know what you find when you look at the signals. I keep seeing people saying that a good tuner can make a NW102 work, but nobody knows how... and at the same time I see a ton of people with issues and no idea what to do, so I'm pretty sure that nobody really understands the problem. And for some lucky tuners it just works.

Doug Ring said that the LS3 TB works (at half the cost of the LS2 silver blade) if you tell the PCM to only open it 88-90% (and it will actually open 100%), so I wonder if something like that will work for a NW102? I haven't experimented with it at all yet.
Those are interesting thoughts. I ran a NW102 on my C5 for ~5 months before I got sick of REP mode on track. You bring up some interesting thoughts. I did never try limiting my max throttle, but I do remmber I was able to avoid it from going REP mode if I was "smoother" with throttle inputs, which mostly meant that I almost never floored it.

I'll make a thread in here once I get a setup going, and maybe we can figure that one out, because I will need to find a way to make the 102 work.

So I know the guys at GSpeed, since they're at MSRC which is ~40 min away from my house. And a good friend of mine from college works at HPR, and i know tons of guys with the HPR engines. I'm going that route. My block looks like it can be saved and sleeved, and used for the core!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

NSFW wrote:No doubt! Somebody referred to the remaining pieces of his broken piston as "secondary forgings" and I have a lot of those, mostly pea-sized. It's impressive how thoroughly it disintegrated. And how much of it landed in the intake manifold.

I think it was Andre from HP Academy.
Is that "Secondary Forging" process to improve them bits! :roll:

That's funny, never heard them called that!
Yup, have a bin full, and a few in the trophy room as well.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

I win the wall of shame award :mrgreen: Not my build but I did try to tune it and informed him he was on death row and nothing more I could do. It managed to last 2 more seasons, then this. After I built and altered both engines, it has been about 6 years now and these small blocks are over 800hp each in a marine environment where we all know they will be on the wood for an hour at a time sometimes :punk:
Boat1.jpg
Boat1.jpg (78.42 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
Boat2.jpg
Boat2.jpg (59.23 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

HOLY CRAP :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I'd say someone didn't lift when they should have ...
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I put a couple tablespoons of mine into a jar for posterity...
PistonPieces.jpg
PistonPieces.jpg (185.26 KiB) Viewed 2189 times
I'm guessing half of it is still attached to the conrod. Will find out soon enough.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Looks like a Christmas cake to me.