PCM Hammer Suite development

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
NSFW

Re: PCM Hammer Suite development

Post by NSFW »

Sorry for the delay again. I think I'm back for real this time, with the exception of my test setup because I started re-arranging my work room a few weeks ago and still have a bunch of stuff in boxes.

So I couldn't verify the PRs but the code looked good so I approved.

I like the idea you posted in the diff in this thread though, with the break rather than return from the middle of the loop. If you send a PR for that I'll approve.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Are there any changes we could put into the main branch that would help with V6 effort?
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

WooHoo Welcome back!
NSFW wrote: Let's go with the change you proposed in the thread at PcmHacking - can you send a PR for that?

I'd rather 'break' from the loop and print "Flash successful" or "Flash failed" after the loop.
Yup sir sure can will do ... done.

As for V6 stuff ... No, not yet, at least from me.
This is likely going to require some re-work ...
As a refresher, the P04 accepts only a single packet kernel upload.
Thus a mini (<=1024b) Mode36 (ASM?) kernel is needed to get a larger worker kernel onboard. (Queen & Workers)

Assembly is not on my fluent list ... However I have been studying with Antus's test.asm with some success.

Obviously there is more to come for the settings dialog PR as conflicts get merged or rejected ...

Might I suggest a first in first out approach with the Repo. (i.e. Oldest to newest)

Thank you!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Antus,

If I'm understanding you correctly, on PR #184 - Flash successful redux 2, It does still print the retries for all Read and Write actions, just like it previously did, and with the PR it will also print "Flash successful!" on successful flashes ...

-Enjoy

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

5 new PR's in order of priority, critical to unimportant.

1. #207 Fix P01 Code A8 Erase Failure.
2. #206 Prevent Null Reference Exceptions from breaking Recovery Mode.
3. #204 Increase Timeouts for better reliability.
4. #203 Reduced J2534 MaxSendSize and MaxReceiveSize due to the MDI2.
5. #202 Update and Organize Scantool.net STNxxxx devices.

I gotta fess up to the #1 fix above (#207 Fix P01 Code A8 Erase Failure.), I should be flogged, it's a soft PCM killer!
Fortunately it got caught before it was in a release, it has only been in the code base since Sep 24, 2020. PR#168.

Some new usability features recently merged and not mentioned in this thread,
#197 Windows Persistence.
#194 Toggled, User Defined Key dialog.
#193 Alt-F:S:D and Alt-F:S:R Saves Logs, Alt-F:X Exit Application and Configurable Save Logs on Application Exit.

NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Thanks for your contributions, Gampy!
And thanks, Antus, for merging these.

I just submitted PCM Hammer to the Windows Store, as a free app. Submission might take anywhere from 3 hours to 3 days, but I'll update the thread when I hear back. I'm a little concerned that it might not pass validation, because it requires full trust (because of serial port access) and because hands-on testing will be worthless without an OBD2 device an a vehicle... but we'll see.

If this goes well I'll resubmit without "Beta" in the name.

And then I'll submit the data logger as a separate app, because there doesn't seem to be a way to have one submission include two apps.

And that has me thinking about merging the reflashing and the logging into a single app. Part of me likes that idea (one item in the store, one download, one icon to click on...) and part of me doesn't (I like separate tools for separate jobs) so I'm curious about what the rest of the world thinks about merging them.

BTW, I've been working on the logger almost full time this week and I'm pretty happy with the way it's coming together. If anyone wants to check it out, it's in the nsfw/logger branch. I still need to add support for non-standard parameters (stuff that gets logged directly from RAM, rather than by PIDs) and support for math parameters. With a little luck those will take about a day each.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Awesome!

I prefer separate Apps ... But what ever is best for the project, I'll go along with!

I suspect it'll have to have an Installer in order to pass.
Something I'm not thrilled about, an installer makes a ton of unnecessary system changes.

Your logger work pointed out my second blunder in PR#194, I forgot to remove my IntermediateOutputPath in PcmHammer.csproj.
<IntermediateOutputPath>C:\Users\tcg\AppData\Local\Temp\vsAEFB.tmp\Debug\</IntermediateOutputPath>
I'll leave it for your logger merge so you don't have to deal with the conflict.

B52Bombardier1
cars: 1970 Chevy El Camino with an LM7 modern GM engine.

2013 Chevrolet SS Camaro

Post by B52Bombardier1 »

Hello,

It seems like a lot of effort to put PCM Hammer into the Windows Store when the app already gets a lot of good visibility / publicity on the various automotive tuning enthusiast web sites.

Just one opinion . . . .

Rick
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

2 new PR's up.

PR#211 Settings Dialog cleanup, Added default Bin directory and Checkbox for LogSaveAs dialog.
PR#212 Status Strip.

NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I've merged both of those. The status strip is great!