FX Holden Race Car Project

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
gtrboyy
cars: vp 'moo mang' ute
torana
bombadores

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Post by gtrboyy »

Good to see still progressing along with the build.

Any updates on Bedford?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

gtrboyy wrote:Any updates on Bedford?
more dust is about its only change :P

will work on it once the FX is going.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Forgot all about one part that wasn't welded up and was too hard to get at with it on its side so that is now done!
1.jpg
1.jpg (162.3 KiB) Viewed 3268 times
Got the front end all painted and its starting to go back together! :)
2.jpg
Engine and box will be going back in shortly so i can start getting the rest of the bits sorted out :) starting to get exciting!
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

:punk: It’s a good feeling when things start going back together.

Love the whole front setup. Is that HK/T/G crossmember? What are the rotor and calipers from?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

its a HR front end, and the brakes are a hoppers stoppers 300mm twin piston kit, commodore pattern, but uses a falcon caliper
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

looking really good!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

Holden202T wrote:its a HR front end, and the brakes are a hoppers stoppers 300mm twin piston kit, commodore pattern, but uses a falcon caliper
Well it should certainly pull up ok.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Had a reasonably productive christmas/new year break working on the car.

I worked out an easy way to move a gearbox on your own, i needed to get it out of the shed so i could give it a degrease, mainly it had dust and grinder shavings all over it.
1.JPG
1.JPG (389.97 KiB) Viewed 3153 times
So i fitted the motor and box back in so i could get onto finishing a whole heap of things, like working out where to put rivet holes in the body for holding hoses and wiring etc. The oil cooler lines i had already done before the chassis was painted, so i got them in place before the motor went in.
2.JPG
2.JPG (223.79 KiB) Viewed 3153 times
I then had to work out a spot to mount this breather can for the transmission, ended up using some old bits of pipe and a commodore control arm bolt to make a mount for it :)
3.JPG
3.JPG (188.93 KiB) Viewed 3153 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (273.23 KiB) Viewed 3153 times
Got everything installed and then marked some spots on the firewall for the wiring loom, also fitted a bulkhead fitting to go into the cabin for boost/vacuum gauge ... also now the wiring loom is through the firewall i can start working out where to mount the ignition module and such bits.
5.JPG
And of course i had my little helper, she loved un-screwing the oil fillter cap and the one on the radiator overflow bottle!
6.JPG
6.JPG (222.42 KiB) Viewed 3153 times
I also just procured some poly carbonate sheet (4.5mm thick) and awaiting some allen head flange cap bolts and nyloc nuts to arrive for them, also got some rubber washers.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Been having a lot of fun in the heat the last few weeks! :wtf:

I noticed when i had it running originally that there was an exhaust leak from the head flange, so i cut the front and rear halves of the turbo manifold, straightened them up and then put them back together, there's still some filing to be done of the flanges but its no longer showing light through the other side with a torch now!

Also the brake line are all connected and bled, transmission lines sorted and shifter connected.
1.JPG
1.JPG (137.73 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
Got the firewall painted and the motor is in, hopefully for the last time this year! I've been focusing on the wiring at the moment mainly because its a job i can do when its stinking hot that doesn't make me any hotter, and its a lot easier to access most of it before i put the inlet/exhaust and turbo all on.
2.JPG
3.JPG
3.JPG (167.55 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
For those wondering why there is so much attached here, with the battery in the boot this is the best spot to run all the big power wires to for things like fans/coils and in cabin power etc.
4.JPG
4.JPG (277.04 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
Pretty well haven't started in here other than feeding some extra wires through to the cabin, mostly the EFI loom is done other than adding one or two wires for analog inputs/flex outputs to things, then its really just some relays and fuses and mounting the ignition module then joining it all to the dash.
5.JPG
5.JPG (265.73 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
the boot is mostly done, i have ordered a few relays which i am waiting on but all the wiring to fuel pumps and from kill switch is all done, i did end up running them round in front of the fuel tank as they are too close and the boot wont shut properly if they are at the back, few more p clips and some convoluted conduit and its pretty close.
6.JPG
6.JPG (239.97 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
I've also put the doors back on so i can start looking at making some CAD templates for the poly carb windows .... and i fished out the original quarter vents for the front windows as they will be a must have if i can't wind down a front window on the return road!

Dad and i have also been measuring front end/rear end geometry, and getting camber and caster in the ball park.

i've also shit canned trying to get it finished for March Gunnedah, its just not possible with the amount of time i want to spend on it, and i dont want to have to do things dodgy then re-do them later. I also really want to get it on the dyno for a shake down and basic tune before i go lugging it 300kms away to race! The next one is early May so should be good not too close but not too far away :punk:
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Great progress mate she's looking good
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem