PCM Hammer P01 and P59 flash tool v015

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Gampy

Re: PCM Hammer P01 and P59 flash tool v015

Post by Gampy »

Yea, I was frustrated for not reading the log before test 1 so I forgot to divide by two on test 2, so test 3 was born ...
The log shows it truncated at 486 bytes ... 486 / 2 = 243 bytes is the MAX it can handle.

For those that don't know, a single byte is transformed into hex of two bytes for transmission.
Example: A = has an ASCII hex value of 0x41, 41 is transmitted.

Test 3 was 512 bytes send, 128 bytes receive, send is not an issue.

A release with a receive size that small is unlikely, however there are a few options.
1. J2534 Automatic sizing. (Github Issue #208 that Antus previously mentioned)
2. Device detection and Device->Size conditions. (possibly like the Scantool technique)
3. User Configurable sizes.

@jay94, Thank you very much for testing.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

cool, thanks for building that test too, it looks like we have the information we need now. So when latest tech2 cards say flashing is no longer supported, pcmhammer test or 016 will probably be able to do it :)
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I just noticed,
[07:47:25:994] 4X communications disabled by configuration.
in the logs ...

Is there a reason for 4x being disabled ??

I've sent a 4th test with 1024 Send, 192 Receive, should help performance a little, especially in 4x.

Please delete the previous configuration between tests. I just looked back and saw I did not remind you to do this, sorry, lack of oxygen definitely causes CRS!

[edit]
Apparently the Tech2 does not support 4x.

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
monaro308
cars: VT S1 LS1 C/dore track car
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

antus wrote:cool, thanks for building that test too, it looks like we have the information we need now. So when latest tech2 cards say flashing is no longer supported, pcmhammer test or 016 will probably be able to do it :)
Great to know Antus, my Tech2 spends alot of time in the cupboard.
draz53
cars: 2000 Camaro SS

Post by draz53 »

Bug report -
I just got a new OBDX Pro, and just downloaded pcmhammer v15. I'm using windows 8.1, with the PCM in the car. I got the OBDX to pair with windows OK, but when I bring up pcmhammer.exe, it immediately says "Unable to initialize OBDX Pro on COM3", then crashes hard enough that I have to restart windows to run it again. It does this whether or not the OBDX is actually powered on.

Before I got the OBDX device to pair with windows, I could run pcmhammer without it crashing, there was just nothing to connect to of course, I just pulled down menus and selected OBDX which was all I could do at that point.

Info update: If it matters, I am also using a bluetooth mouse. Maybe it's trying to use the wrong BT device?
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

draz53 wrote:Bug report -
I just got a new OBDX Pro, and just downloaded pcmhammer v15. I'm using windows 8.1, with the PCM in the car. I got the OBDX to pair with windows OK, but when I bring up pcmhammer.exe, it immediately says "Unable to initialize OBDX Pro on COM3", then crashes hard enough that I have to restart windows to run it again. It does this whether or not the OBDX is actually powered on.

Before I got the OBDX device to pair with windows, I could run pcmhammer without it crashing, there was just nothing to connect to of course, I just pulled down menus and selected OBDX which was all I could do at that point.

Info update: If it matters, I am also using a bluetooth mouse. Maybe it's trying to use the wrong BT device?
Are you sure the device is on COM3 ??

If you need to delete PcmHammers configuration, see here https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7053&start=40#p105451

Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Are you using Bluetooth or USB?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
draz53
cars: 2000 Camaro SS

Post by draz53 »

Gampy wrote:

Are you sure the device is on COM3 ??

If you need to delete PcmHammers configuration, see here https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7053&start=40#p105451
Thanks, well deleting the config file worked, in that I could run it without crashing. Then tried to set it to use COM4 which was the only other selection, it couldn't initialize that either, plus windows now shows a popup asking to tap it to create a device, but if I do that I says it couldn't create a device (??). This is with the OBDX powered up.

Besides pairing the OBDX, did I need to manually create another windows device before running pcmhammer, and if so how do I do that? (Obviously I'm not a windows expert!) The program gives me 2 choices for serial COM ports (3 and 4). I already have 2 other BT devices (mouse and external keyboard) that are paired but not powered on while I'm testing this. Could those 2 ports be for those other devices, not the OBDX?
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Tazzi is the guru on that device ...

I don't have any wireless devices, thus I'm not sure of the setup process.

As a wireless, I suspect, you connect the device to the OBDII port to power it up, you then pair it with Windows, Windows then detects it as a Serial Device and installs a port for it.
But that is just a guess!

As a USB, plug it into the powered OBDII port, plug it into Windows, Windows should detect it as a Serial Device and install a port for it. (ie: COMx)

Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Are you connecting to via Bluetooth or USB?

If Bluetooth, need to make sure you are paired to Windows first, but Bluetooth is tempormental for serial services.

If by usb, make sure you have installed the OBDX driver and shows the OBDX device in Device manager.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726