cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: Project Rescue

Post by Charlescrown »

That cylinder has been getting coolant into it for some time. Oven cleaner or caustic soda works magic in dissolving carbon.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I use paint stripper and a pressure washer.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Some more things to try :)

I think that whole bank has been a bit sad for some time, it had the worse of the 2 intake gaskets as well, it has worse buildup on the valves too.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Bits ready for the parts wash.
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 17.30.18.jpeg
I checked one valve spring....

60psi @ ~ 44mm and 180psi ~33mm Does anybody know what the stock ecotec valve springs should be? Either my valve spring tester is way off or something is not adding up with this engine. Not with the car having 340,000km on the clock.

Hopefully we still have an engraver at work and I can number the valves there before removing.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Does anybody know what the different casting numbers are for the ecotec heads?

Some of the numbers cast into the head are 8184 E040

Checked a few valve guides. Seems like minimal to no play on the ones checked.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I used to have those numbers but lost them after I got rid of all my ecotec engines. VX-VY was the latest casting number and had the least cracking issues. But that doesn't appear to be a problem on yours.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Well, after a good soak overnight and a few hours elbow grease...
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-18 at 15.17.56.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-18 at 15.19.02.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-18 at 15.23.00.jpeg
Valves still need a good polish. A bit of valve seat recession on the exhaust valves but otherwise not to bad I think.

My valve grinding paste was rock hard so I have a new tube on order, should be here in a day or 2. Ideally the exhaust valves need new seats cut and have the valves touched up but not going that far on this build.
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

Cleaned up mint.
Before I read your comments below the images I thought, jeez those exhaust valves really come in for a pounding...
I think they need doing. Remember that all the heat transfer from the exhaust is through the valve seat. You'll see how bad they are by giving it a once over with some grinding paste. I doubt you'll even get a full contact patch 1st time.
I used to set up a valve adapter and bolt it to a bench grinder to re-surface the valve seats then lapped them in. Saved lots of cash that way.
immortality

Post by immortality »

I'd love to do the valves/seats but I don't have anything at home capable of doing a proper job. I'll lap em by hand and see how they come out for starters.
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

immortality wrote:I checked one valve spring....

60psi @ ~ 44mm and 180psi ~33mm Does anybody know what the stock ecotec valve springs should be? Either my valve spring tester is way off or something is not adding up with this engine. Not with the car having 340,000km on the clock.

Hopefully we still have an engraver at work and I can number the valves there before removing.
Valve spring force as listed in the Holden publication is: @ assembled height: 316-351 N @ 43.7 mm
opened height: 970-1059 N @ 32.4 mm
Valve spring at installed height 43.19-44.19 mm.
Let's hope your beehives are be-having!
As for engraving the valves, a simpler way is to just number/ stamp the heads 1 and 2 (on the front of the respective side). Grab 2 pieces of stiff cardboard, punch 6 holes in each with a screwdriver, number them 1 and 2, mark front on each. Use the #1 for the left bank and put your valves in sequence in the cardboard as they would go in the head. Same for #2.