Open Source Hardware

Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: Open Source Hardware

Post by Tazzi »

Gampy wrote:Having a hard time wrapping my oxygen deprived and inexperienced mind around the hardware.

Could you more experienced folks tell me if this device (hardware wise) would be compatible with most vehicles ??
Not concerned about firmware or drivers, just the hardware.

If not, what vehicles would it not work on ??

Thank you!
Since it supports CANbus, itll be able to most modern vehicles which utilize CAN. :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Thanks Gents!
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Could I please get some help selecting compatible replacements components for the 6 components in the attached Excel sheet that are unavailable at either Digi-Key or Mouser ...

I prefer Mouser, I have an account there ... But it's not a deal killer!

The Seventh item in the file is available at Digi-Key, not Mouser, if it could be replaced with a compatible item from Mouser that would be awesome.

Thank you!
Attachments
Unavailable.xls
(22 KiB) Downloaded 196 times

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

https://www.findchips.com/search/ATSAM4E8CA-AU
findchips.com is always good for finding stock, newark and avnet shows some stock on the atmel :)
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

And octoparts.com ...

Unfortunately finding them and being able to purchase them where found is worlds apart!
That's why the ask was for compatible replacements.

Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah its starting to really have an impact, parts i bought not that long ago are now all on back order
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

The gmlan chip I use went from $1.20 to $8.50.
One of the processors I also use has jumped up to over $20aud.

And even had to bail on the bluetooth module being used originally as its skyrocketed to over $25 each.

I have no doubt that there are some business's absolutely hording parts to do assembly themselves or supply to places due to just how crazy its getting.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

IMHO they are intentionally sitting on them waiting for the prices to sky rocket using the pandemic as the price hike excuse!
In other words price gouging!

WooHoo, I think I'm gaining ground ...

2. Would 603-AC0402FR-075K49L be a good replacement for 603-RC0402FR-075K49L ??
3. Would 603-RC0402FR-1368KL be a good replacement for 603-RC0402FR-0768KL ??
4. Would 863-NCP730ASN500T1G be a good replacement for 621-AP2204K-5.0TRG1 ??
5. Would 863-NCP730ASN330T1G be a good replacement for 621-AP2204K-3.3TRG1 ??
6. Would 863-NCP730ASNADJT1G be a good replacement for 621-AP2204K-ADJTRG1 ??

I don't know what things like Dropout Voltage are, so I'm purely guessing on the Linear Voltage Regulators ...

That leaves 1 item (row 7) needing replacement options, the MCU: ATSAM4E8CA-AU
The hardest one to replace ... I suspect there is a newer chip that is basically the same, different numbers and I don't know enough about them.
I don't don't give up easy ...

The 7th item (row 9) (863-BAS16LT1G) is now in stock at Mouser.

Has anyone built the Firmware, got the isotp-c and bitfield-c libs ??
Or basic steps to build them ...

antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

At a glance those components look good. The main things are the footprint (0402 for the resistors, and... ?) And if you have a choice of ratings, you generally want industrial or mil spec as the interfaces can cop some out of spec voltages and temperatures in cars.

I see you can buy a 5 pack of those AT SAM MCUs on ebay here https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microchip-Tech ... 4194231369

Not a good long term solution but if you just want to build up a couple and have a play that should do it.

Im not sure anyone has built the firmware, I dont think it would be easy, but hopefully i'm wrong on that. Pretty cool that your giving it a shot! And the J2534 drivers on the pc side could get interesting too.

Are you going to try and hand build it? Do you have experience with SMD at this level?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

No, I do not have SMD experience at that level, I have never done double sided boards, nor that narrow of pitch.

I'm trying to find someone to populate a small batch for testing before making a larger batch.
Most companies that can populate are not going to purchase off ebay, however some accept customer supplied components, so ebay is not completely out. Thank you for pointing them out.

The driver is good to go for now ... I have it functioning on that POS STiC J2534 that I wound up paying a fortune for! (been USB snooping on that)
It's NOT fully featured, but it does work!

I do not know why yet, however there are two drivers, one is C/C++, the other is C#, why one would do a driver in C# is beyond me, in this case it's TWO dll's, a CLR interoperability dll talking to the C# driver dll ...
Thus in a C# application the communication path would be YourApplication -> YourApplicationInteroperabilityDLL -> DeviceInteroperabilityDLL -> DeviceDriver -> USBDriver -> Device ... :shock: :wtf:

The firmware does appear to be missing code!
After getting through the missing bitfield-c and isotp-c libraries, It's latest complaint is it's missing 'TimeoutCallback' ...

I find NO HINTS as to what it is other then what the names implies!
Not sure I'm going to be able to get through this one ... We'll see.

Sure be nice if the original authors popped in and enlightened us.