Right to Repair.

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Fixed until broken
cars: 2002 GMC Sierra

Re: Right to Repair.

Post by Fixed until broken »

Tazzi wrote: Perfect example is immobiliser not programming/delinking correctly during reprogramming sessions on secondhand modules. It USE TO work correctly, but uses incorrect immo codes on most modules as of today. :shock:
So I don't know this to be true or not but I've heard on newer cars swapping other modules can trigger the IMMO. An example that comes to mind is Chevy volt( I drive one). I saw some post online that if you buy a used cluster and just throw it in the volt it will trigger the IMMO and even if you swap back your old one you have to drag it to the dealer.

I am not a mechanic so I am not in the loop on a lot of the mechanic side of this stuff. I just fix circuit boards for mechanics and end users.
jxx
cars: To many

Post by jxx »

Fixed until broken wrote: So I don't know this to be true or not but I've heard on newer cars swapping other modules can trigger the IMMO. An example that comes to mind is Chevy volt( I drive one). I saw some post online that if you buy a used cluster and just throw it in the volt it will trigger the IMMO and even if you swap back your old one you have to drag it to the dealer.

I am not a mechanic so I am not in the loop on a lot of the mechanic side of this stuff. I just fix circuit boards for mechanics and end users.
Much like the Australian Ford Falcon, hence the comment earlier that something as simple as a dash cluster failure should not cripple a vehicle... been going on here since turn of the century and there's only a few people/companies that can overcome it and they charge like wounded bulls.

Eg: you have to have a compatible scantool or such and pay an exorbitant fee for online access to be able to reprogram their shit, most people with a 20 year old car don't want to pay that for a mobile auto elec/mechanic to come and move the pos out of their driveway, bill is more than the car is worth.

Even pulling all the computers/modules out and sending that along with the keyfob to be tested to these places costs more than the car is worth is most cases.

Like my 2003 commodore, has the original cluster with 300+K Km's on the clock, pcm and bcm have crapped out over time and needed replacing, flashed and updated both of those online through GM and it's still flashing it needs a service at 170,000Km recently reset that because it wouldn't let me because it was under the threshold of 1000Kms, wouldn't let me by any means possible be it with a scantool or by the buttons, like Tazzi said... even the correct procedures don't work
Fixed until broken

jxx wrote: hence the comment earlier that something as simple as a dash cluster failure should not cripple a vehicle... been going on here since turn of the century and there's only a few people/companies that can overcome it and they charge like wounded bulls.

Eg: you have to have a compatible scantool or such and pay an exorbitant fee for online access to be able to reprogram their shit, most people with a 20 year old car don't want to pay that for a mobile auto elec/mechanic to come and move the pos out of their driveway, bill is more than the car is worth.
It is simply insane to me that as consumers we have let this go on for so long. The sad part is that even the automotive industry is broken when it comes to RTR. The go-to example of working RTR is automotive.

Another sad truth about this which is most of the stuff I work on is older than 2018 is gone are the days of EEPROMs/ flash on the circuit board in a lot of cases. I have run into newer stuff that just has all the flash or EEPROM on the MCU die. So no easy clone of the old BCM/cluster by swapping out the EEPROM.
Before PCM hammer came out people used to make ok money "cloning" PCMs by swapping the flash on them.

What really sucks is a lot of these toolchains like PCM Hammer, LS Droid, FoCCCus, and others really have to worry about copyright law. You know either right to repair really should have some exemptions in place for copyright law or an update to DCMA. If GM really wanted to put their foot down some of the repositories of dumps could be fucked. A flip of a switch and a whole community gone because of dumbass overreaching copyright law.

I mean how many of the OBD STAR and Xtool BS toolchains are just reverse-engineered from the original tools? Some of these ripped tools are getting expensive because the original is so expensive. How much are clone Tech 2s? $300 still right? its almost 30 year old tech.
Edit: sorry slightly off topic rant.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

jxx wrote: How much are clone Tech 2s? $300 still right? its almost 30 year old tech.
Well, GM do rent a day of tech2win software pretty cheaply, which is the emulator, and runs with any compliant J2534 device, so if you need to do one thing to your home car, you can use any compliant J2534 hardware and do it for about $30. That part is pretty reasonable. You can also rent use of GDS2 for newer cars, or SPS etc. Some things are good, all things are not.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Fixed until broken

That's a fair deal in my eyes.