A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Cincinnatus
cars: 97 Corvette
92 Camaro
2005 Silverado
2001 Savana 2500
1998 c3500hd
1998 tahoe

Re: Security camera feeds onto house TV's?

Post by Cincinnatus »

I would expect it just transmits the chosen channel onto coax. Other channels should still exist on the coax. Ad shows a rack of those units, I'm assuming sending signals on separate channels for coax distributed video for maybe sports bar setup. Some units did rf or atsc output and some had HDMI, composite or component input. If immortality tries one I hope he reports if it works as I have a use for one as well.
Last edited by Cincinnatus on Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

This is on my winter projects list. I'll do a little more research first.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

some things to think about in regards to DVB-T over co-ax:

Do all your TVs share the same antenna?
Do you have any signal strength problems with shared antennas?

You might need to either broadcast the tv signal which is probably illegal and do you want your neighbors tuning in to it?, or else you might have a whole lot of wiring to do splitting the 75ohm attenuation co-ax in a way which changes the impedance and messes with signal quality each split for each TV. Then because of the numerous signal sinks and splits you might need a signal amp near the antenna. And even then you have no guarantees it'll work.

If you need to do the wiring anyway, maybe it'd be better to buy a network of hdmi splitters and run them through the roof and out to each tv. If you do that you wont need to re-do any antennas, and the splitters can also act as signal repeaters in a loop through the ceiling, and each tv could have it on hdmi 1 or similar. Then you'd still need a signal source, whether thats a computer, phone, android box, or an NVR, and you'd have no way to control it remotely to zoom in a particular cam, though you could probably have a split screen view showing 4 or (up to) 9 at the same time.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
immortality

Post by immortality »

I already fitted a signal amp/splitter last year after chasing TV signal issues for years.

Definitely won't be broadcasting a signal for someone else to watch...
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

immortality wrote:Definitely won't be broadcasting a signal for someone else to watch...
Awe come on, that ain't no fun for the neighbors ...
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
immortality

Post by immortality »

So doing a little more reading, NZ digital TV doesn't use the US ATSC standard so the encoder listed earlier won't work in NZ. NZ does use the DVB-T signal type which the other encoder can do.

So I think this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082DM432N/ref=emc_b_5_t might work with the NZ digital TV signal/decoders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeview_(New_Zealand)