GM You done f*cked UP with programming

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: GM You done f*cked UP with programming

Post by Tazzi »

Gampy wrote:Huh, it's a VIN, it's over the net ... :?
Things like requesting calibrations to download, VIN rpos ect ect. All things their software does.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Its like anything. Its not a problem until its a problem. But i'd suggest not talking about it too much here.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

There are not enough swear words in the world to describe the abuse I just had at GMs techline this morning.

Needed a calibration on a GMC Sierra.. techline starts updating then randomly crashes. Now when it starts, it will not boot correctly, just says reboot computer as a problem has occured.
Snooping further and looking at the logs, techline is preventing starting as its partially written a corrupted version number (Assuming to register) so now things Im running versions of other tools it was trying to install that are incompatible!!!

Should be easy fix right? Uninstall and reinstall? Nope.. why the fuck would they make it that simple. It does not appear to overwrite version numbers if they are higher then whats being replaced with.
Tested on a laptop, which boots and runs successfully with techline.

Now the main PC is unable to actually use techline till I can figure out where all these damn versions are being stored. Assuming I figure it out, Ill post a fix.

*Edit
Its lost the "TDM Service" exe, its no longer installed at all but I believe registry and also the taskmanager services show its on the computer, but cannot run as it does not exist. I have copied it across from the laptop, then used the proper uninstall from control panel to remove it entire... so lets see if it installs correctly now.

*Edit 2
Ok, after doing the above, then going through the registry, and removing everything related to GM/Techline under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->Software->WOW6432NODE->General Motors + GM + TDM + Techlineconect + TUM

As well as removing everything in:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER->SOFTWARE->GM+TechLine

It seems to now finally at least be trying to boot up. Its doing a shitload of updates (Again) but at least its progressed from doing nothing.

There is no way in hell any GM tech/help would have resolved the above. It required actually ripping files from a running computer to allow successful uninstall and hand editing registry to get to this point. Looking through the install files under the appdata/local area shows a few powershell scripts which are used during install/setup of techline, although none of them help this situation. :roll:
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

4.5hours later... and we are back in.
What... a... fucking... joke.

If any GM techline engineer is reading this, or better yet, the techline project co-ordinator... splitting up your services into multiple applications relying on socket connections is a terrible idea. You have zero implementation to deal with missing services which could be removed by antivirus or uninstalled. Along with, the timeout values you set when initially setting up the SPS client session are NOT high enough thus clients on mobile signals can time out. Further more, instead of relying on registry version control, use the ACTUAL applications version saved within the program.

Whats even more stupid, logs indicate if something is missing or version is incorrect, the application MUST be a mismatched client program and it just completely stops working. That would have been nice to have an ERROR MESSAGE indicating this instead of having to back trace every single application TLC was checking against.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

WOW if that happened to me or most common mechanical service users they'd be royally screwed... good to know how to fix it but it's not going to pay for your time wasted!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

FFS... :hmm:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

OY :thumbdown: :wall: :comp:
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

At least its a solution to resolve. Id hate for a mobile program guy to have travelled hours and be stuck because of some bullshit like this. Hopefully does come handy to someone searching.
MudDuck514
cars: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE
LD9 2.4l I4, 4T40E
2005 Chevrolet Venture
LA1 3400 V6, 4T65E

Post by MudDuck514 »

Hi all;

THIS is why I used to keep a backup image of my PC when I was doing work and I could NOT afford to be without my PC (Used Norton Ghost to create an image of my Windows XP HDD)
NOW, I don't really keep anything important enough to lose this way. (Wiping and reinstalling the OS is time consuming but not impossible)

Mike
ironduke
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Post by ironduke »

It was a giant clusterfuck for all gm dealers.. They pushed the update thru sunday at 10:57pm, evidently they had the janitor hit the 'update' button before he went home and nobody checked the fucking thing to see if it was any good.. First thing monday morning turned into a shit show with nobody being able to do a god damn thing.. Everyone that needed gds2 or sps was basically fucked.. Some emails went out, some numbers were called and GM was finally woken up out of their holiday day off and had an emergency meeting where they pulled the update and went to backups around 8:45EST.. if you tried to use it before then you were screwed but since they pulled the server you could download the tlc install program and run it and it somehow straightened itself out.. email below came out around shortly after 11am..

***Do not reply to this message, this mailbox is not manually monitored***
Reference Number: GCUS-9-12487

GDS2 Core Software Update TLC Error
Attention: All Service Department Personnel
Beginning on January 17th, there was an update to the GDS2 core software (Version 22.2.05003) in TLC (Techline Connect). There was a problem with the update that caused an error while launching TLC. This has been backed out. Anyone that launched TLC prior to 8:45 AM EST will have to close down TLC, go to the “Download Techline Connect" button in Global Connect select this button to download the TLC executable file. Run this file which will perform an uninstall/reinstall of TLC.
If you have questions related to this communication, please contact the Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC) at 1-800-828-6860. At this time, TCSC staff is working remotely to provide continued service to our dealerships.