NVRAM Module For VN to VS ECMs and PCMs issue

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
SmacT
cars: VK Commodore

NVRAM Module For VN to VS ECMs and PCMs issue

Post by SmacT »

Hi all,

My tuner is having trouble making this work, can anyone suggest something he may be doing wrong, as per the below?

We purchased this nvram & comms unit for a 808 ecu, I fitted it all up and used the ose1.8 plug in with the 12 p file. This is for a VN 304 efi engine in a VK.

He had communication with ecu & actually performed some adjustments to the fuelling table and had the engine running quite smoothly, and was making adjustments for perhaps 10 minutes. He made a timing change & uploaded to ecu, soon afterwards the engine began to run very poorly and he noticed he had lost communication with ecu . He switched every thing off and rechecked the cable & settings . Started tuner pro and hit initialise hardware, after perhaps 30 sec it comes up with could not detect ecm pcm. Things to check: ose plugin com port setting, ose echo plug in settings etc. He went over all the settings and changed laptop with windows 7 . still the same result. any suggestions would be much appreciated, the car is otherwise finished!

Thanks and fingers crossed.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: NVRAM Module For VN to VS ECMs and PCMs issue

Post by antus »

It sounds like hes done something to corrupt the contents of the nvram. Likely bumped the write wire on the back of the pcb to short to the case or something like that.

A workaround might be to swap the map switch on the nvram to B to use the backup copy of 12p on the nvram, if it is still intact. He'll need to re-upload his changes from stock.

If that doesnt work he'll need to remove the nvram chip from the nvram board and flash a fresh copy of the 12p bin from the zip file to it in an external programmer.

Its worth trying to understand what happened if he's on map b so it doesnt happen again.

Im also interested to know because I have seen someone recommend to someone to use oseplugin 1.5 not 1.8 but couldnt tell me why. Im not aware of any problems with 1.8 but if there is a problem I want to know about it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
SmacT

Post by SmacT »

Thanks legend. He has had a read and will check this stuff. I will get back to you asap.
SmacT

Post by SmacT »

All sorted peoples, thanks for the ideas. He basically started from scratch, and now is all working great, including with ose1.8 - the tuner is stoked with how much he can do with this set up on stock VN ecu, so well worth it. The dyno results are surprising us, too, with a smooth, tractable engine all the way through - a great streeter. Thanks!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

great, thanks for the report!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396