Trying to find the EEPROM in a 98 LS1 PCM

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
Gampy

Re: Trying to find the EEPROM in a 98 LS1 PCM

Post by Gampy »

I wouldn't be to optimistic with that either ... In fact I wouldn't waste my time.

I would BDM write a known good, proper and complete GM original file.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

I would like to look at a bin file that does have data in 4000 or 6000. If the data in one of these blocks is similar to P01/P59 its possible I might have the answer for you.
jamesried

Post by jamesried »

Here's the file with data there, it is not similar IMO.
Attachments
bin60518424.bin
(512 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
jamesried

Post by jamesried »

Gampy wrote:I wouldn't be to optimistic with that either ... In fact I wouldn't waste my time.

I would BDM write a known good, proper and complete GM original file.
This is a file that worked 100% good via same BDM recovery, already back in the car and driving around. I'll read another good PCM I have and see if it has anything in that area, I wrote entire the tune pulled from the "bad" one via HPTuners to it and it is still fine. So HPT maybe skips that section or it's not relevant and just part of the normal calibration/OS/etc.
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

jamesried wrote:Here's the file with data there, it is not similar IMO.
To me the 4000 block looks to be very badly corrupted.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

its true, GM use 'eeprom emulation' which is the parameter block partition on the main flash. There is no external eeprom, even if its sometimes referred to. Some later (eg P10/P12/p12b from about 05-07) have a different 512 byte eeprom space on the CPU, but not the generations of hardware we are talking about here. If the code is referring to corrupted eeprom, its referring to the active paramater block on the main flash (there are two, when its updated its written to the other partition and erased from the current one, so the active one alternates each update). being a 98 it is possible the flash chip is good for less wear cycles than newer pcms and it may be starting to fail and corrupt that segment. If the flash chip is physically starting to fail like that you'll want to get a good bin with good parameter block data from either this pcm if you have one from when it was working or from another one and replace the entire flash chip for chip level repairs, then update the VIN. I agree the 4000 block is damaged in this bin, there is no vin, no valid seed/key and the data structure looks damaged and incorrect, although I admit I havnt done a deep dive on a 98 pcm, I am working from what I know of 99+.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
jamesried

Post by jamesried »

kojab wrote:
jamesried wrote:Here's the file with data there, it is not similar IMO.
To me the 4000 block looks to be very badly corrupted.
That's a 100% perfectly fine working file that checksums great. Flashed with BDM and no issues.
jamesried

Post by jamesried »

antus wrote:its true, GM use 'eeprom emulation' which is the parameter block partition on the main flash. There is no external eeprom, even if its sometimes referred to. Some later (eg P10/P12/p12b from about 05-07) have a different 512 byte eeprom space on the CPU, but not the generations of hardware we are talking about here. If the code is referring to corrupted eeprom, its referring to the active paramater block on the main flash (there are two, when its updated its written to the other partition and erased from the current one, so the active one alternates each update). being a 98 it is possible the flash chip is good for less wear cycles than newer pcms and it may be starting to fail and corrupt that segment. If the flash chip is physically starting to fail like that you'll want to get a good bin with good parameter block data from either this pcm if you have one from when it was working or from another one and replace the entire flash chip for chip level repairs, then update the VIN. I agree the 4000 block is damaged in this bin, there is no vin, no valid seed/key and the data structure looks damaged and incorrect, although I admit I havnt done a deep dive on a 98 pcm, I am working from what I know of 99+.
That is just how these work, that data is not in the flash, even doing a full read and write with a BDM it does not touch the vin, serial number, seed, key, etc. It's in another chip somewhere else. It's alluded to by multiple people in other forums 10+ years ago when these were more common to be messed with. Those people unfortunately aren't responding to PMs lol
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

jamesried wrote:That is just how these work, that data is not in the flash, even doing a full read and write with a BDM it does not touch the vin, serial number, seed, key, etc. It's in another chip somewhere else. It's alluded to by multiple people in other forums 10+ years ago when these were more common to be messed with. Those people unfortunately aren't responding to PMs lol
If this is a P01 style PCM then the VIN,Serial,Seed,Key ect is all part of the parameter block.

If that block is corrupted or wiped, then you will get funny characters when loading up in software such as hptuners, lsdroid, pcmhammer ect.

*Edit
Appears this is not a standard P01.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
jamesried

Post by jamesried »

Tazzi wrote:
jamesried wrote:That is just how these work, that data is not in the flash, even doing a full read and write with a BDM it does not touch the vin, serial number, seed, key, etc. It's in another chip somewhere else. It's alluded to by multiple people in other forums 10+ years ago when these were more common to be messed with. Those people unfortunately aren't responding to PMs lol
If this is a P01 style PCM then the VIN,Serial,Seed,Key ect is all part of the parameter block.

If that block is corrupted or wiped, then you will get funny characters when loading up in software such as hptuners, lsdroid, pcmhammer ect

*Edit
Appears this is not a standard P01.
Yeah this is the very first ls1 pcm used in 97-98 vehicles and the dbw 24x coil near plug 7.4 big blocks in big trucks. Similar but very different animal and very hot garbage temperamental.
526b145273546746ae4aabf8f22a3953.jpg
526b145273546746ae4aabf8f22a3953.jpg (17.58 KiB) Viewed 3484 times