What is this???

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Pete30nz
cars: 1994 VR v6 berlina
1996 VS v6 executive

Re: What is this???

Post by Pete30nz »

vlad01 wrote:Maybe check for leaking injectors? Run the car for 30min and then lift the fuel rails with the injectors, prime the pump on and watch the ends of the injectors for weeping fuel or dripping. Very common issue with the age of the cars, especially true for the older VN-VR big body injectors, they really sucked for this problem. Also happens when you get the injectors serviced, they start leaking.

The leaking floods the engine and makes it take ages to start. Also check the vac reference hose for the fuel reg. Just yesterday I found that to be the problem in my nephews new engine and why it was flooding and hydrolocking. Fuel was pissing out of the vac line and into the manifold.
Yes that sounds good, I will get to that. This on my VS v6.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Oh, well that's going to be an issue. You can't lift the rails without lifting the plenum off on ecotec.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Pete30nz
1996 VS v6 executive

Post by Pete30nz »

vlad01 wrote:Oh, well that's going to be an issue. You can't lift the rails without lifting the plenum off on ecotec.
You make a good point there Vlad. Back to the drawing board?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Well you are going to have to do it to know for sure. Is your VS the big grey tops or the small green injectors?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Pete30nz
1996 VS v6 executive

Post by Pete30nz »

I have the green injectors in there now. It originally had the metal bodied ones, similar to VR ones from memory.
I will get around to pulling the plenum off.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Remember to do this when the engine and injectors are still hot as that is the only time I found them to leak.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

vlad01 wrote:Oh, well that's going to be an issue. You can't lift the rails without lifting the plenum off on ecotec.
That’s wrong, it can be done, I’ve done it plenty of times…
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Pete30nz
1996 VS v6 executive

Post by Pete30nz »

vlad01 wrote:Remember to do this when the engine and injectors are still hot as that is the only time I found them to leak.
I'm having the long cranking first thing in the morning, cold engine. And if the car sits for an hour or so or longer I think.
Pete30nz
1996 VS v6 executive

Post by Pete30nz »

Gareth wrote:
That’s wrong, it can be done, I’ve done it plenty of times…
I'm curious, how is it done with out lifting the plenum? Unbolting the fuel rail bolts that hold it to the plenum body?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I would also like to know, the fuel rail being one solid piece with the plenum keeping it down, I can't see how you would be able to move or lift it without the plenum moving out of the way.