EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
ben_att
cars: VF
VZ
VY

VF BCM Eeprom reading/writing

Post by ben_att »

Hello,

I'm playing around with a VF BCM, I've been using a clip to physically connect to the eeprom with a TL866 to read and write the data but have to pull it from the car and it's a nuisance fiddling around for a while to get a good connection to with the clip on the eeprom to make it read properly in circuit. Is there a way to read and write bin files to the BCM eeprom through the DLC instead?

Thanks
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: VF BCM Eeprom reading/writing

Post by antus »

Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
ben_att
cars: VF
VZ
VY

Post by ben_att »

Thanks Antus. I finally got around to trying this.
It says that it reads and saves a bin file but it's all 0's when I open it in xgpro.
It also doesn't have an option for me to write the data back in which is interesting because the program has an inbuilt editor. (Which actually looks like it works when I open a bin file I have read from the eeprom using xgpro)
Additionally, the files that it does save are double the size of the ones when I read directly off the BCM which a chip clip (8kb vs 4kb).
Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but I'll email the guy who's name is on the application and see what he says.
Other than that, it's only 'custom made' software that can read and write the bcm data through the DLC?

Thanks
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yeah its worth contacting him as he is active and on these forums. I would think, especially if its reading correctly but just failing to save, that he'd want to fix it. Maybe its a different revision BCM or similar. Sounds like its not quite right but close.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396