vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Testing MAP sensor with vac gauge - due to rough idle

Post by vlad01 »

My bad, 25-30 for stock and high 30s-low 40s for my cam'd engine when I checked back at the logs, I mistaken the vac when part throttle revving in N. There is pulls 20 for stock and mid to high 20s for the cam'd engine and below 10 kpa for both when the throttle snaps shut.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I dont think hooking the map sensor up to a different source of vaccume to what the engine sees, then measuring results by the quality of idle is a valid test. If you want to test the map sensor key on with the engine not running and check that the pcm is reporting close to 100kpa for atmospheric pressure. then hook up the pump and guage and check the pcm is reporting the same kpa you are seeing on the guage as you change it. If values are close, the map is ok and look for the problem elsewhere.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Pete30nz
cars: 1994 VR v6 berlina
1996 VS v6 executive

Post by Pete30nz »

Charlescrown wrote:What maniflod vacuum do you get @ idle? should be around 20 inches. Also is your vac pump reading accurate? The more vacuum you apply the leaner the fuel mix gets so maybe it's running rich for some reason. If you have somethnig like TunerPro you should get a map reading of 101kPa key on engine off.
Hi charlscrown, on idle via the fuel reg vac port it was sitting about 21 inHg.
This is the first ever vac gauge I've ever had, I don't know how to check it.

Cheers
Pete30nz
1996 VS v6 executive

Post by Pete30nz »

Hi there ,all that commented, I'm loving the input :thumbup: Looks like I have a better way to test the sensor. I did also start a vacuum thread, in saying this I will get around to doing the can of spray trick around the intake to check for a possible leak? While doing this, listening for a smooth idle upon spraying Carby cleaner I guess?

Cheers
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

21 is a good reading for a NA engine in good condition. Turbo usually a tad lower if they have lower compression ratio. So if the engine gets smoother as the vac increases your running too rich particularly with an engine like yours.
Pete30nz
1996 VS v6 executive

Post by Pete30nz »

I have taken a few logs of sensor data, I'll have to post those from the laptop though. It has new plugs, leads, and have checked for good spark with spark tester, all strong looking spark. It also has a new oxygen sensor.
What else can cause it to run rich?

Today I sprayed Carby cleaner around the edge of the intake manifold, there mite of been a smooth idle, but I didn't have the vacuum gauge attached to look at.

Cheers
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

what kpa did it read with the key on but the engine not running? when it warms up what does the o2 sensor read?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Pete30nz
1996 VS v6 executive

Post by Pete30nz »

hi there, taken some logs today. will attach below.

The kpa reading mite be on the sensor data. I havn't had the vac gauge hooked up today.

reading and logging files im using the following:
Holden VR V6
XDF $11B_V106.xdf
ADX VR_$11_v1.05-tp5.adx

cheers
Attachments
key in on position - sensor data.png
sensor data gauges - key in on position.png
few minute drive up the road, while engine at running temp.xdl
(173.04 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
cold start today monday 26 105pm.xdl
(104.67 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
restarted car then engine settled rough idle and sat at 740 revs.xdl
(13.14 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
at running temp o2 is in red numbers.xdl
(12.76 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

A quick look at your map sensor shows it's a tad high. Should be 101 @ sea level and get lower with altitude but I doubt that small amount would have an effect.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

That's a known bug, at least with 12P and 11P. Baro is somewhat random but in the ball park. I always get between 101 and 104 even though it's not possible living at 95 Kpa above sea level. MAP always shows the correct 95 Kpa but Baro always shows 100+ no matter what. VL400 claimed to had fixed this years ago with the ADX when I reported the bug but it still exists, so I suspect it's somewhere in the factory code and worked it's way into 11 and 12P as well.

I even tested it at 1 Km above sea level which is I think 88-89 Kpa but still reported the Baro to be 103 or similar, as a result with my worked engine the CEL for rich O2 was triggered by it while on the mountain, but is fine when at more normal elevations.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.