Getting started with reversing P01/P59

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
L5hunter
cars: too many...

Re: Getting started with reversing P01/P59

Post by L5hunter »

antus wrote:I think you will need to track sources somehow, and keeping consensus on what is the newest/best/most accurate will be key. Properly maintained xdfs are much more valuable than a 3 year out of date xdf someone with good intentions picked up, made one change then posted as newer. I think community will be a big part knowing who is/has done what. That is where the forums are useful. A comparison tool will be great, but encrypted XDFs can cause a problem there, and it'll require testing to know which is correct when there are differences. The XDFs in stickied threads here are the best currently available. Git is a good idea for trackability but tunerpros slightly changing format over versions will create noise. I also dont want to break the 1 thread / 1 maintainer community side of it here. If we need a GM definitions area only for xdf threads with OSID in the title we can do that. Keep xdfs posted here for feedback/comments and link out to github for trackability. I imagine we'd share access to the repo among a couple of active members to keep it up to date.
All good points - it all just comes down to availability vs. quality of information. For the vast majority of applications, I'm thinking that a somewhat curated repository of XDFs would meet most people's needs. The vast majority of people need access to VE tables, spark advance, and VATS flags, all of which are pretty easy to get good XDFs for. The addition of an XDF comparator would help narrow down the herd and knock out the obvious inferior or incorrect XDFs. I would likely choose stickied XDFs that are known to be up-to-date and maintained over older legacy XDFs with a mysterious origin. The idea I have is people post new XDFs in the form of a pull request, maintainers of the repo test and vet, then it is integrated into the repository. Initial population will require some legwork but ideally it is a self-sustaining machine. That way issues can also be discussed in one location, instead of me going to the BoredTruckOwner repo and grabbing some random XDF, and having no way to correct issues in the posted file for other people. I support the idea of an XDF area on these forums as well - it would help reduce noise.

On the note of password-locked XDFs, would someone mind explaining what they are? The definition itself is encrypted, or the usage of it is password locked? What is the ethical reason for doing this - just intellectual property?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

we did this for the older holden models. i could see a similar thread, linking out to github working for vpw pcms if the github remained active. 3rd times a charm? viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5

Yes xdf in the header have encrypt and open/edit passwords as flags. some people dont want people to 'steal' their work, or want to remain the upstream source and want to prevent random competing forks spreading.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
L5hunter

Post by L5hunter »

antus wrote:we did this for the older holden models. i could see a similar thread, linking out to github working for vpw pcms if the github remained active. 3rd times a charm? viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5

Yes xdf in the header have encrypt and open/edit passwords as flags. some people dont want people to 'steal' their work, or want to remain the upstream source and want to prevent random competing forks spreading.
Sounds like a plan then - I will start gathering data after a few days of enjoying the Christmas holidays with family.

And as for the encrypted XDFs, I can say I don't understand, but I guess it is the same as the open/closed source software debate, to each their own. Although I can say that, personally, all my work will be out there for anyone to see and improve.
L5hunter

Post by L5hunter »

Just a thought - it may also be pertinent to create a list of the various OSes and their applications/differences across years? This repository would be a good place for that, maybe in the wiki.
L5hunter

Post by L5hunter »

Here it is - I spent quite a bit of time scouring various corners of the net, and have a pretty comprehensive list. https://github.com/hkaase/P01P59XDFRepository

At this point, if you are active in XDF development, I would be more than willing to add you to this repository. If you aren't familiar with Git or uncomfortable using it, shoot me a PM, and I will be happy to get you up to speed. That way we can ensure everyone has access to the latest and most cutting edge XDFs.

Once we start seeing more P10/P12 activity, we can also direct development of XDFs for those OSes here to simplify the search process.
RADustin

Post by RADustin »

We really need to take the .csv file of all the calibration data and assign those data points/tables simple ID numbers. Then as each OS gets figured out against those IDs we can populate. It would be much easier to stay organized that way across OSs not only while using the XDFs but also for development of what is done and what isn't.

starting with OS ..603 and working from there makes sense since the .csv dump is for that OS. I understand some OSs may have more data than that, and some less; but it seems like a nice starting point.

just my $0.02.
tpichevelle
cars: 72 Chevelle, TPI

Post by tpichevelle »

Thank you for centralizing. I'm bringing up a TPI - 411 chevelle on the original 350. After hitting the download button, the xdf file displays as a text file. Is there a way to download the xdf to use it? A few days ago I found and started using the 9.0 file. Shows the value of centralizing these files!

P01-512KB/12212156/12212156 - Phoenix V.9.2.xdf

Take care,

Rick
L5hunter

Post by L5hunter »

tpichevelle wrote:Thank you for centralizing. I'm bringing up a TPI - 411 chevelle on the original 350. After hitting the download button, the xdf file displays as a text file. Is there a way to download the xdf to use it? A few days ago I found and started using the 9.0 file. Shows the value of centralizing these files!

P01-512KB/12212156/12212156 - Phoenix V.9.2.xdf

Take care,

Rick
Rick,

If you change the file extension shown in the window to a .xdf instead of .txt, it will work just the same.

In the download dialog, where it says "Save As Type", change to "All". Then, in the name specification, just make sure it ends in .xdf. Feel free to PM if you have more issues.
tpichevelle
cars: 72 Chevelle, TPI

Post by tpichevelle »

Yes, using File/Save As, selecting extensions to all, I was able to save it as an xdf file.

Thank you
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Just looking at "P01-512KB/12212156/12212156 - Phoenix V.9.2.xdf" as above I see it has code patches, which require the OS checksum, which requires plugins. That particular XDF has:

Code: Select all

<XDFCHECKSUM uniqueid="0x1AC6">
    <title>GM P01/P59 checksum plugin</title>
    <REGION>
      <pluginmoduleid>a8d1fdd7-d985-4b09-9979-2735b69cc9a6</pluginmoduleid>
      <datastart>0x0</datastart>
      <dataend>0x7FFFF</dataend>
      <storeaddress>0x0</storeaddress>
      <calculationmethod>0x0</calculationmethod>
    </REGION>
  </XDFCHECKSUM>
which means its going to need the checksum plugin with GUID a8d1fdd7-d985-4b09-9979-2735b69cc9a6. Somehow you'll need to track which XDFs need which plugins, and include the plugins too. While on that subject, then its worth also tracking which Visual C runtimes are needed for the plugins, and a link to the download from microsoft too because occasionally someone doesnt have the runtimes installed already, or where they were the same one as tunerpro, the tunerpro author bumps his versions to something newer and so people with fresh systems with newest tunerpro sometimes find what worked on their last machine no longer works on the newone without solving the runtimes problem.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396