P01 and p59 timing tables

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Boostedforlife

P01 and p59 timing tables

Post by Boostedforlife »

So my set is a l59 5.3 running ss2 cam ported heads v3 boosted os and gt45 turbo.

I've looked at a lot of high and low octane tables and logged my timing and g/cyl and follows that well. But I'm in the .70-.80 at 2400 rpm and timing is 4.5-6 degrees there and seems low I've seen 1.20 and max time is 11.5 out there. Did gm j7st make it very conservative out there for safety. Everything I've read and watched shows best timing in the 25-29 degree (depending on motor setup and what it wants) range and that's close at the .60 area.

Just looking for input on this. Just seems low but don't want to put to much in an hurt it. I do have the boost spark set up to pull 1 degree for every 1 psi and over 10 ish pulls more. I'm only run 7 psi right now but wanted it safe. Only has 8 degrees at 3600 through peak power then trails off.
Phoenix
cars: 1983 Chevy C10
1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
2004 Pontiac GTO
2005 Pontiac GTO

Re: P01 and p59 timing tables

Post by Phoenix »

Are you seeing the same timing value when you are logging? Even though the timing table may call for 6 degrees, what are the spark modifiers adding and subtracting? IAT, ECT, etc. Since you have a turbo you are going to expect the g/cyl to be higher than stock. I do not know why the factory has lower values up there, probably as you said for safety.

Also 25-29 degrees at WOT works fine for naturally aspirated engine on 93 octane, and probably that is where the stock 5.3 finds itself. Now that you are forced induction the engine should be higher up in the g/cyl values. I would probably start off with commanding around 15 and slowly inch up from there, keeping an eye on your fuel as that will also change with timing. Depending on your setup, I would expect to ultimately end up somewhere between 18-22 degrees total timing at WOT.

Did you have to scale the tune at all for injector size? That can move your g/cyl down the scale. Are you in boost at 2400 rpm? If you are not, I would try adding some timing and see if the engine likes that.
Boostedforlife

Post by Boostedforlife »

I'm looking at the last log right now and the log shows at 1600 I'm at 1 psi, 15.5 timing, .588 g/cyl, and afr was pig rich. Everything stays that way to about 2400 beside timing and g/cyl which are 2400, 1psi maybe a little more but not much, 6.5 spark timing, .754 g/cyl and still very rich. 2800 it's at 2.5 psi, and 5.5 spark .888 g/cyl, 3200 I'm at 5 psi(what my wg spring is full open) and 7.5 timing, by 4800 I'm at 11 degrees and 1.1 g/cyl. That's with no boost spark removed. Figured I'm safe enough now I could remove it. Iat and ect spark is zeroed tell the hotter regions of the map and I'm not hitting them. The tune is not scaled wanted to learn the basics before I get into that if needed. The cam should make power to 65-6800 so I'll max out the g/cyl for sure but thats what the boost spark table is for. Just want sane numbers before I start pulling on it

The timing just seems crazy low on the stock tables. And don't know if more timing would help out the bottom side guess I'll try 1-2 degrees. See if it feels better. Thanks for the info too.
Knackersjewels
cars: 2x VZ alloytec
VY SS L98 ute

Post by Knackersjewels »

Can you post your tune file and log?