PCMLogger: can't log all cyls for misfire?

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Broke4speed
cars: 1984 Volvo 244

PCMLogger: can't log all cyls for misfire?

Post by Broke4speed »

I wasn't sure where to post this since it's about PCMLogger.

I am finally ready to drive my LS swapped Volvo and was trying to set up PCMLogger to record all the misfire channels...and it told me that my PCM (P01, 2156 OS) was unable to record/display all 8. I could not get counts off 1-4, but I could from 5-8. The dropdown on 5-8 is 'boolean' but the dropdown on 1-4 is 'raw', would that affect anything?
Gampy

Re: PCMLogger: can't log all cyls for misfire?

Post by Gampy »

Which ones log, Raw or Boolean ??

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Make sure you don't have p0300 set to not report.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I would have to say there is a bug involved ...

It'll tell you that "Misfire Cyl #" is not supported by this PCM, then if you deselect all but the one that says it is not supported, it works.

After editing Parameters.Standard.xml to fix the raw versus boolean discrepancy I can get 7 Cylinders to record by careful selection, but not all 8, select the 8th Cylinder and it'll respond that one of the currently selected and working Cylinders, is not supported.

Weird to say the least.

I cannot look into this any deeper right now for I am very sick, they have me on watch, the nurse is asking me very nicely to lay back down and rest.

-Enjoy

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Take care of yourself Bro
Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Gampy wrote:I would have to say there is a bug involved ...

It'll tell you that "Misfire Cyl #" is not supported by this PCM, then if you deselect all but the one that says it is not supported, it works.

After editing Parameters.Standard.xml to fix the raw versus boolean discrepancy I can get 7 Cylinders to record by careful selection, but not all 8, select the 8th Cylinder and it'll respond that one of the currently selected and working Cylinders, is not supported.

Weird to say the least.

I cannot look into this any deeper right now for I am very sick, they have me on watch, the nurse is asking me very nicely to lay back down and rest.

-Enjoy
Thanks for checking it out and letting me know I'm not crazy.

Now please rest and don't worry about it. Your health is way more important than any misfire logging bug that is absolutely not important in the grand scheme of things.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Broke4speed,

If you edit Parameters.Standard.xml, find the 8 Current Misfire pids
#5 = 11EA
#6 = 11EB
#7 = 11EC
#8 = 11ED
#1 = 1201
#2 = 1202
#3 = 1203
#4 = 1204
and changed the conversion units to Boolean and the format to 0.00 you should be able to log 7 cylinders at least.

FMI ask ...

Maybe Antus could/should ping NSFW on this one.

-Enjoy

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Cool, thanks for the tip :).
I edited the xml last night before making the post, but I turned everything to 'Raw' and '0' instead of 'Boolean' and '0.00' and it still errored out. I'll flip it back the other way and give it a test :).
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

PcmLogger-Misfires.png
PcmLogger-Misfires.png (17.31 KiB) Viewed 1784 times
The trick is the sequence of addition of pids ... I have not taken the time to figure out the exact sequence yet, I will work on it as I'm able to set up at the desk, I'm getting the pointing finger, so I gotta go rest.

Obviously PcmLogger is still beta ...

-Enjoy

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

I've edited the xml so I'll give it a try tomorrow and see how many tries it takes me to get all 8 to work, haha. Thanks again for your help!
I really appreciate all the work you guys have put into these open-source logging and flashing tools, so if there's a small bug here and there, that's just par for the course. A good beta program results in a properly-fleshed software tool :).