PCMLogger: can't log all cyls for misfire?

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Gampy

Re: PCMLogger: can't log all cyls for misfire?

Post by Gampy »

This issue has to do with all pid selection, not just misfires ... Can't really wrap my foggy brain around it ATM.

However here is a trick, add the 8 Misfire Current pids ... It'll likely be saying some Cylinder is not supported, ignore that and just add one more pid like Engine load and poof, it should start working.

I really don't know the logger code, I have contributed nothing to it, I have been leaving it alone for it was in great flux while NSFW was figuring out the optimum design, then NSFW acquired higher priorities and there it lies in a beta state.

This is the second issue that I know of that needs addressing.
1. Startup ... Getting it to work, without having to shutdown and restart ...
2. This pid adding issue. It appears to receive a 7F 2C message from the PCM when adding the pids that cause failure and I believe that is the root of the issue. Vehicle.Logging.cs: Line 137

I'll keep poking at it as I can.

-Enjoy
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I havnt used the logger, or looked at the code, but is it to do with total number of pids? That is, when batching them up you need 2 or 4 DPIDs or something like that per request packet, and maybe when the total number of pids is not a valid amount it fails and adding the extra pid makes it an even number again? So therefore the fix might be to add a dummy pid when its required but the response is ignored just to keep the pcm happy?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Broke4speed
cars: 1984 Volvo 244

Post by Broke4speed »

For me, it errored out as soon as I added the 5th misfire channel. Then if I removed that one, it reported that ANOTHER one wasn't available. It would continue on until I had no channels logging at all.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

And what happens if you add the 6th one, even if it bitches about the 5th one ??

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

I'll have to check. I had a step-backwards on thursday night that royally ufcked my PCM playtime. The car slipped off the jack and punched the gastank, sigh :(.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Awe man that sucks!

At least no one was squished ...

-Enjoy

Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Gampy wrote:And what happens if you add the 6th one, even if it bitches about the 5th one ??
Finally had a chance to check out what happens. If I add a 6th one...it complains about that one and continues not working. If I remove the one it is complaining about...then it complains about another one. If I remove that one...it finds another one to complain about. Even if I take one of the pre-set profiles and try to add anything to it (say I want to know if it's in closed loop and I'm on the fuel trims profile)...it says no way. If I take a pre-set profile and REMOVE one of the parameters...then it allows me to add one back in. The amount of parameters logged doesn't seem to be a factor, since it happens on any of the presets. I did not try making my own profile but it's behaving sufficiently strange that I don't think it would help.
joukoy
cars: Pontiac Firebird 1978

Post by joukoy »

Can you test logging with UniversalPatcher, for compare?
Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

Sure. I actually had no idea it could do that. I'll give it a try :).
Broke4speed

Post by Broke4speed »

I had a quick minute to try logging with UniversalPatcher...and the same thing occurs. I have a test profile set up with the basics (RPM, MAP, CLT, etc) and I've added all current misfire cylinders as well as fuel status (CL on or off)...and it errors out on PID 0003 (Fuel status) at first. When I remove that, it then errors on PID 1204 (one of the misfire channels). I didn't have time to go further unfortunately, but it's definitely the same issue.