Does MAT sensor get used for Open Loop?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
someguy360

Does MAT sensor get used for Open Loop?

Post by someguy360 »

Hi All,

Out of curiosity, does the Manifold Air Temp sensor carry any real use when running in Open Loop mode?

I know obviously CTS is critical for AFR's warm up, timing etc however I'm struggling to think of anything the MAT may be used for other than assisting chasing a target in closed loop.

The reason I ask is I've tapped the MAT sensor into my edelbrock dual plane manifold (into one of the runners similar to the OEM manifold on a 304) and I'm getting 95-100 degree air temps in normal driving in the middle of winter, I did a drag pass last weekend and I didn't start to get a major drop in air intake temp readings until at least 120-130km/h.

Just trying to work out whether I need to relocate it etc as I highly doubt I'm truely drawing in 100 degree air temps in 9 degree ambient outside temps. But as I run forced Open Loop in my tune, if the MAT carries no real value then I can probably just ignore it's readings.

Thanks in advance for any input.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Does MAT sensor get used for Open Loop?

Post by immortality »

If I'm not mistaken it contributes to the Charge Temp calculation.

It might be the joys of having a carb style intake with open air filter under the bonnet. Go for a run without the bonnet on.
Kevspec
cars: Vs 215i grange

Post by Kevspec »

As stated with my setup I put in the base of the airfilter and seem to work pretty good and I felt temps were accurate and obviously your tune would be to suit where ever the sensors and scaling of everything would be
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

Sounds a bit weird that it takes so long to register cooler intake charge, I've had the opposite problem with big swings making it difficult to get consistent results. I have a reasonably effective cold air intake through the bonnet scoop but it will quickly go from 100+ down to 40 or so when you open the throttle, and in $12P at least the charge temp has a big effect on fueling. Sensor is right behind the injector near the head.