808 in a VS V8 Manual

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
8rody
cars: VS V8

808 in a VS V8 Manual

Post by 8rody »

Hello all,

I'm a bit of a silent observer here, and have a question that I cant seem to find in searching.

I have a Holden V8 (out of a VN) with a Delco 808 Ecu. I can burn my own eeproms etc, and have been doing so for some time.
I want to drop into my daily driver, a VS.
I've checked the wiring diagrams and all seems to match up, however I am not sure how;

a) The VATS/BCM anti-theft works with a non VR/VS ECU? How do they communicate?
b) The ALDL 160, and if I can still use the check engine lamp to check error codes for my ABS / Airbag. Can I use the high speed comms mod on my 808's and repatch the harness to make everything work?

I have read here that the VS V8 ECU is "basically a 808 with a high speed coms mod". Is this true?

Has anyone here ran a 808 in their VS V8 Manual? I have alot of them, and the price of a VR / VS V8 Manual ECU / Harness is the price of a kidney.

Thanks - really appreciate your help!
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Re: 808 in a VS V8 Manual

Post by vn5000 »

If you want to you can use an 808 in a man vs using 12p just disable vats in the cal,but anti theft wont cut injection.
If you use 808 with high speed mod (one wire)will be same as using 3082 ecm,and will all work normally.
8rody

Post by 8rody »

vn5000 wrote:If you want to you can use an 808 in a man vs using 12p just disable vats in the cal,but anti theft wont cut injection.
If you use 808 with high speed mod (one wire)will be same as using 3082 ecm,and will all work normally.
Fantastic! So I assume the the high speed coms mod available here + a harness pin swap etc will allow the ABS Airbag etc to still work via ALDL?

What pin / wire does the ECU communicate to the BCM? What is the interface? (How does it work!!)
I've had a look at some wiring diagrams VN & VP, and it appears the BCM connects to the ECU on the same wire than the VN (non BCM) recieves a +12v.
Thus I just assumed the BCM supplies voltage to the ECU to start, but I guess its alittle more complicated than that..

Thanks heaps mate for your help,
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

8rody wrote:Fantastic! So I assume the the high speed coms mod available here + a harness pin swap etc will allow the ABS Airbag etc to still work via ALDL?
This board gets turns the 808 in to a manual ECM .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=398

The ABS and airbag dont talk to the ECU, not sure on how much they talk but possibly the BCM communicates with them? It can be used for diagnostics though. The only data on the ALDL wire that is ECU to/from BCM is for the antitheft system before the engine starts - the ECU asks the BCM what the status of the key is. The VATS system works so that until there is a valid key the BCM stops the start relay working and the ECU disables the injectors.

8rody wrote:What pin / wire does the ECU communicate to the BCM? What is the interface? (How does it work!!)
I've had a look at some wiring diagrams VN & VP, and it appears the BCM connects to the ECU on the same wire than the VN (non BCM) recieves a +12v.
Thus I just assumed the BCM supplies voltage to the ECU to start, but I guess its alittle more complicated than that..

Thanks heaps mate for your help,
The ALDL wire is pin A8, should have nothing connected on a VN or VP. In VN and VPs the antitheft module supplys the switched ignition voltage to the ECU on pin A6. There is some info on ALDL here .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/view ... f=10&t=219
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Post by vn5000 »

The ecm communicates with the bcm via pin A8 on a vs manual v8 ecm.
8rody

Post by 8rody »

vn5000 wrote:The ecm communicates with the bcm via pin A8 on a vs manual v8 ecm.
Right you are, and it was right in front of me the whole time in the diagram :|
I'm a goose.

Thanks mate!