T5 hydraulic clutch conversion

For non EFI mechanical discussion
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

T5 hydraulic clutch conversion

Post by immortality »

Hi guys,

I have a T5 transmission that I want to fit into a VT Commodore which only ever had the provision for a hydraulic clutch so I need to convert my T5 to hydraulic clutch operation.

What are the options to convert a T5 to hydraulic operation? I have seen home made kits that have a hydraulic slave cylinder on the outside of the gearbox that pushes onto the factory clutch fork but wondering if there are better options out there, maybe even a hydraulic slave cylinder that fits inside the bellhousing that fits instead of the clutch fork operated release bearing?
brindo

Re: T5 hydraulic clutch conversion

Post by brindo »

Mal Wood has a kit for the hydraulic throw-out bearing but it is pricey. It would keep everything in the bell housing though and be similar to the T56 arrangement.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

There are plenty of options for hydraulic thrust bearings these days, including universal for those who don't want too much custom work. Personally I wouldn't pay double-triple price for a kit when you can just set it up yourself - Holden boxes are generally pretty easy to retrofit because they have long input shafts which gives plenty of room.

The only thing to bear in mind is that many units are to suit Chevy clutches which have the curved diaphragm fingers, while most standard Holden setups use flat fingers. This may mean that you need to swap the bearing itself from flat to radius face. Also some units move the outer body, including the lines and fittings. These generally have less clearance to the clutch cover so be wary of that, but can still work.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I have one of those kits sitting in the shed from Malwood, except I'm going to attempt to modify or use bits from it to make one for a 4Runner with a Buick in it, since none of the conversion or Toyota parts last more than a few days without something failing.

It's actually not a concentric slave, but a hydraulic piston that's hollow at he base of the assembly, the whole assembly with the bearing on the front moves rather than the bearing. Kind of like an upside down concentric slave.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality

Post by immortality »

That gives me something to work with. Been doing a little googling this morning. Found these,

https://www.rwdmotorsport.com/product/b ... ing-kit-2/

and

https://www.rwdmotorsport.com/product/b ... aring-kit/

The 2nd kit does have options for either flat or radius bearing faces but both kits are designed to work with 5/8" master cylinders and from what I can see the VT clutch master cylinder is 19mm or 3/4" which probably won't work.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

This is the Malwood one I did a quick mock up to see how it works and to get an idea on the feasibility for the 4Runner.

372526082_845437950110245_2104163986080454945_n.jpg
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality

Post by immortality »

How is that held in place at the correct height?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

There is a spacer tube. Not immediately obvious in the pic. There are adjusting shims as well, they go under the unit.