Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
In-Tech

Re: VY One Tonner

Post by In-Tech »

Yes!!! :thumbup:
brindo

Post by brindo »

I have been for a reasonable run on the highway now for kids sport and there is a decent improvement in fuel economy. With the old tray, a typical drive to Toowoomba (360 kms) would use between 44 to 50 litres which is pathetic, and is dependent on how much the air cond is on, but more so road speed. I have found the difference between 100 km/hr and 110 km/hr is a huge difference in fuel consumption, and about half of that drive is a 110 zone. Best I have ever got out of it was only 24 mpg.

So with no changes to the tune but with the new tray, this latest drive was 210 kms and was a 110 km the whole way - And I only used 23 litres, which is a welcome improvement. I think if I sat on 100km/hr the whole way would have got close to the magical 28 mpg.

Just to show that this new tray does have a function, here it is loaded with over 60 cartons of drinks for the school fete – so getting close to 750 kgs.
20231031_134529.jpg
brindo

Post by brindo »

I have brought shame upon my house.
Bogged.JPG
6" rain last week. Another 2" this morning.
Not even the Torque Lock could save me.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh NOOOOOO!!!!

On a side note, I have a trutrac in my VZ crewman towcar, have you ever had any issues with it when towing?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
brindo

Post by brindo »

Haven't actually towed much with it to be honest. Only thing I've towed recently was a lighting tower for the school fete and that was last year. When it does actually get used as a ute it is usually with the tray loaded.
When I was putting turf down in the yard, I did three 500 km trips with about a tonne in the tray and it didn't give me any grief - had 50 psi in the rear tyres though.
So far I can't fault the Torque Lock.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Mine had some mega judder pulling out of standing corners after 2 hours of towing a race car.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Probably a oscillation/resonance with the leaf spring rear end. I know every single ute/wagon both Ford and Holden that used leaf springs axle tramp something shocking and worse so when sticky tyres were used.

One of my work colleagues from years ago had a Boss Ford BF ute with Nitto tyres, pulling around corners that juddered the brains out of you lol.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
brindo

Post by brindo »

Haven’t experienced the axle tramp yet, but might not be enough weight over the back for that to happen in a one tonner – all I get is a bit of wheel slip.

Anyway Landrover drivers are a bit like vegans, and I will be hearing about being rescued by a Landrover for decades to come. Its still raining so not venturing off the bitumen anytime soon.
And as punishment I have been given this mess to sort out. It’s a 1972 model 2.25 litre petrol. It was stripped down in 2004, and was machined up, and left to sit unpreserved since them.
There’s a wasp nest in every bolt hole and oil gallery. It’s pretty rusty but hoping most of it will clean up. Crank will need a grind. Finding all the bits will be a marathon. They look to be a pretty rugged engine. Conrods are huge, as are the journals, although like the Holden grey motors could do with a couple more mains caps. Solid roller cam with a finicky roller lifter. Split lip seal for the rear mains which is even more finicky. Hydraulic cam chain tensioner. Oil fed shaft mounted adjustable rockers. Not bad for an engine designed in the 1950s. They’ve got all the ingredients to be a good engine so with any luck I’ll have this one leaking oil again in no time.
They say life is too short to waste it working on Landrovers, but here I am living that dream.
Landrover Engine.JPG
Landrover Engine.JPG (95.47 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Holden dealers used to sell a diff additive to stop diff chatter. It was very expensive but definately did the job.
brindo

Post by brindo »

Not sure you can run an additive with a True Trac or Torque Lock. Whether an additive affects them I know not, but Eaton says don't do it. They also advise against using a synthetic oil.
I thought the later Crewmans also had some trickery with the diff housing as well to stop axle tramp.

Gareth does your Crewman have the rear sway bar? Or is it deleted to make room for a rubber mounted heavy mass mounted on the diff hat? It's similar to the blocks fitted behind the axle tubes on the leaf springs which I thought both the Crewman and One Tonner got.