PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Programs / Tools / Scripts
darkman5001
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:15 am
cars: 2004 Suburban, 2001 Tahoe, 2002 Envoy, 2006 Envoy, 2003 Lincoln LS
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Post by darkman5001 »

antus wrote:No. The developer flashed his car, updated the tool in this thread to support J2534, not just the volvo dice tool, then stopped working on it.

Someone would need to RE it and fork it if they wished to keep developing it.
That's too bad. It was good work. :cry:
beeradoc
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:50 pm
cars: 67 Chevy C10
12 E3 HSV

Re: PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Post by beeradoc »

Has anyone who has experience using this program got any insight into selecting a j2534 device. When I open the program and select J2534 the only options that show in the drop down are a couple of Autel tools (Stupid autel app installs every driver even for devices I do not have). I have manually typed in Bosch - MDI and changed the DLL location in settings to the correct location. If i click INIT with my mdi unplugged it loads the device explorer, if I have the device plugged in the program thinks for a minute then gives me an error "7"

Any help would be appreciated
ironduke
Posts: 576
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:32 pm
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Post by ironduke »

beeradoc wrote:Has anyone who has experience using this program got any insight into selecting a j2534 device. When I open the program and select J2534 the only options that show in the drop down are a couple of Autel tools (Stupid autel app installs every driver even for devices I do not have). I have manually typed in Bosch - MDI and changed the DLL location in settings to the correct location. If i click INIT with my mdi unplugged it loads the device explorer, if I have the device plugged in the program thinks for a minute then gives me an error "7"

Any help would be appreciated
What device are you trying to use?
Known problem with the vcx-nano and this tool
beeradoc
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:50 pm
cars: 67 Chevy C10
12 E3 HSV

Re: PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Post by beeradoc »

ironduke wrote:
beeradoc wrote:Has anyone who has experience using this program got any insight into selecting a j2534 device. When I open the program and select J2534 the only options that show in the drop down are a couple of Autel tools (Stupid autel app installs every driver even for devices I do not have). I have manually typed in Bosch - MDI and changed the DLL location in settings to the correct location. If i click INIT with my mdi unplugged it loads the device explorer, if I have the device plugged in the program thinks for a minute then gives me an error "7"

Any help would be appreciated
What device are you trying to use?
Known problem with the vcx-nano and this tool
Hi Ironduke,

I have an MDI (clone), is a proper clone that updates with genuine mdi firmware, not a vcx-nano, I have one of those but it is a paperweight for Holden, will not connect to any Class2 modules.

I was trying to take a read incar, was not sure if this is purely for bench use
ironduke
Posts: 576
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:32 pm
cars: Mainly GM trucks, a Cruze and an Equinox for dailys..

Re: PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Post by ironduke »

beeradoc wrote:
ironduke wrote:
beeradoc wrote:Has anyone who has experience using this program got any insight into selecting a j2534 device. When I open the program and select J2534 the only options that show in the drop down are a couple of Autel tools (Stupid autel app installs every driver even for devices I do not have). I have manually typed in Bosch - MDI and changed the DLL location in settings to the correct location. If i click INIT with my mdi unplugged it loads the device explorer, if I have the device plugged in the program thinks for a minute then gives me an error "7"

Any help would be appreciated
What device are you trying to use?
Known problem with the vcx-nano and this tool
Hi Ironduke,

I have an MDI (clone), is a proper clone that updates with genuine mdi firmware, not a vcx-nano, I have one of those but it is a paperweight for Holden, will not connect to any Class2 modules.

I was trying to take a read incar, was not sure if this is purely for bench use
OK, it does read in car, although it has errored out on me occasionally.. Since you have an MDI I believe it should work ok.
I just checked and even with the latest MDI software it is still connecting ok for me.
select J2534 pass Thru in the 1st drop down.
Should be showing Bosch - MDI in the drop down
Go ahead and click init.
At that point it should attempt to connect, if wireless then a popup asking to connect will come up with hopefully your MDI as an option, if USB then it should just connect and mdi lights would start to flashing showing that it's connected..

Since your not seeing the Bosch - MDI I wonder if the other tools installed are effecting or corrupting the MDI connection somehow.
If you open MDI manager can you see and connect to your mdi?
beeradoc
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:50 pm
cars: 67 Chevy C10
12 E3 HSV

Re: PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Post by beeradoc »

ironduke wrote: OK, it does read in car, although it has errored out on me occasionally.. Since you have an MDI I believe it should work ok.
I just checked and even with the latest MDI software it is still connecting ok for me.
select J2534 pass Thru in the 1st drop down.
Should be showing Bosch - MDI in the drop down
Go ahead and click init.
At that point it should attempt to connect, if wireless then a popup asking to connect will come up with hopefully your MDI as an option, if USB then it should just connect and mdi lights would start to flashing showing that it's connected..

Since your not seeing the Bosch - MDI I wonder if the other tools installed are effecting or corrupting the MDI connection somehow.
If you open MDI manager can you see and connect to your mdi?
So I figured out the issue was a combined issue with my Autel drivers and also the PowerPCM software. When installing the Autel PC Suite it installs all of the drivers for all of their passthru devices, the PowerPCM software only populates a list of 3 devices that it takes from the Passthru support directory in the registry, after deleting all the extra autel registry entries except the one device I have I am now able to select Bosch - MDI from the drop down list and it connects and reads.

Now I have a read to play with, I have opened it with Universal Patcher and had a bit of a look around it, I am wanting to delete VATS, I believe I have found the correct option to change that, but I know when I have previously done a VATs delete with HPT I had to do a write entire, does this program do a write entire or just calibration?
In-Tech
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:35 pm
Location: California

Re: PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya,
I apologize for being a jerk in my reply. Obviously you are serious.
Setting the VATS flags has never worked so what most of us do is jump to end of VATS crapola, which is in the OS so, yes, that normally requires a "full write".
I never looked at it too deep.
beeradoc
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:50 pm
cars: 67 Chevy C10
12 E3 HSV

Re: PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Post by beeradoc »

In-Tech wrote:Hiya,
I apologize for being a jerk in my reply. Obviously you are serious.
Setting the VATS flags has never worked so what most of us do is jump to end of VATS crapola, which is in the OS so, yes, that normally requires a "full write".
I never looked at it too deep.
I have never used universal patcher before and only just got this software to give me a bin file. I have done a few conversions myself and always used HPT to do the Vats delete, but I am sick of paying $160 plus the currency exchange just to change one setting to get the vehicle to run. I am hoping to find a way around that to save some money and learn some new skills in the process
In-Tech
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:35 pm
Location: California

Re: PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya,
Bro, I feel ya. I just spent $400 + $200 credits to just change gear ratio and tire size on a 2018 T87a. Doesn't work, can't call them and finally got an email. That focker has obviously never even worked on a T87a. I'm sick, and sick and tired of being sick and tired. When I get better, there will be justice.
kur4o
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:20 pm

Re: PowerPCM_Flasher: my tool for E38 and E67

Post by kur4o »

e38 needs VATS delete patch[available in universal patcher]. And write entire for sure. There is some gm programs that might give you a headstart on write entire with mdi, but it is not preferred to be publicly discussed here.
Post Reply