Clutch questions. Puck disks etc...

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Re: Clutch questions. Puck disks etc...

Post by VK_3800 »

vlad01 wrote:The T5 retainer doesn't have anything to support a locating pin or alike, like I see on your TKO.
Didn't come that way, I just removed the bearing retainer and machined it to suit. There's also a screw-on collar pressed onto it. The original Muncie kit actually came with a replacement bearing retainer ready to go.
vlad01 wrote:If it was all ceramic it likely would have lasted longer, but of course machining or replacing flywheels often gets expensive.
The metal surfaces wear equally, pressure plate lost over 1mm and the clutch actually starting slipping while engaged - not a good feeling when overtaking! You'd need a proper steel flywheel face and even then you'd be replacing frequently with the wear rate. Obviously this assumes that the clutch is actually being used to it's potential, don't need anything fancy otherwise.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

That Howe bearing is still the style where the outer body moves.

Sometimes you can find better options with the radius diaphragm clutch fingers as that seems to be more popular in the US, and run a flat bearing as opposed to the Holden OEM radius bearing and flat clutch. The former fits a little better with the Howe style bearing too.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

That's some good valid points.

Regarding the retainer, there are cast iron ones for the GM T5 application that might be better to use as the support for the bearing, a lot stiffer than the alloy one I would imagine and also the right diameter for the Holden application. Only the tube is pretty short but might not matter with the right engineered solution.

https://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/item ... 266839.htm

And there is the Ford one which has a larger tube diameter, but also iron.

https://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/item ... 271715.htm

There is also a jeep one, not sure on the specs but is also an option if it's favourable.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The1

Post by The1 »

This all sounds to complicated id just slap a 4L60e in and call it done :lol:
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Been there done that!
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

Save yourself the effort and dollars and just LS it and TREMEC 6060. Faster cheaper and sounds better
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I found these a few weeks back, mainly for my nephews 4Runner if the Malwood bearing doesn't work out, but there are some nice options here.

https://apracing.com/drawings/2018%20Pr ... inders.pdf
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

HQ355 wrote:Save yourself the effort and dollars and just LS it and TREMEC 6060. Faster cheaper and sounds better
This :punk: