Ford EEC-V Bin Converter for Different Software

Ford information and tools can be found here
DWS
cars: Tons of Toyotas, 2003 cavi derby car, ford trucks, etc.

Ford EEC-V Bin Converter for Different Software

Post by DWS »

Since I had to convert bins for my own usage, I made up this little page to share with everyone. It's nothing special but functional and free.

https://eec.derbyws.com/

The listed formats are pulled from the page linked below. If there's a different bank order desired or a software package you're using but isn't listed, let me know so I can add it to the list.
http://www.efidynotuning.com/dis.htm#pcmflash_bin

The page attempts to detect the bank order of the uploaded file. If anyone has issues with a file, let me know, so far my testing has it working well.

I can add 2 bank support 112k if there's interest, efidynotuning also mentions Quarterhorse requires a 256k file for the 2 bank computers, so if someone wants to me to add these options, let me know and ideally send me a file to make sure bank detection works right.

Of course typical disclaimer, use the tool at your own risk. I try my best to make it clear what it's doing and edit the files correctly to the expectations. Never hurts to validate the edits with a hex editor.

Currently supported outputs:

Bank Order [0-1-9-8] 224k
Commonly Used (Would like to build a list of what all uses this format)

Bank Order [1-8-0-9] 224k
Kess
PCMflash
TwEECer/CalEdit

Bank Order [8-1-0-9] 224k
Misc (not sure what uses this format, more info would be nice)

Bank Order [0-1-8-9] 256k
QuarterHorse
TunerPro (The source page says this is TunerPro's read format, I suspect XDF files can sometimes expect different formats)

Any other common hex edits that would be handy to have on the page? The site doesn't disassemble the bin or anything, so it can't get too complex, but I can do a fair bit with just pattern matching.

I know the visuals aren't mind boggling, this is a purely functional tool right now, not much effort put into the looks, that's my weakest skill set anyway lol.
Last edited by DWS on Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ford EEC-V Bin Converter (bank swapping and padding): viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8342
VX L67 Getrag

Re: Ford EEC-V Bin Converter for Different Software

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Nice work, will be handy for those mucking around with the early EEC files!
DWS

Post by DWS »

Thanks! I've seen the EEC-V computers used up to around 2007 in some models. I currently don't have a way to read 96-97 EEC-V computers or the older EEC-IV computers. I have 10 or so of them sitting here that I wish I could read and ideally write too, but I'm working with a dev to hopefully get those covered in their software. Not sure if there's much demand in that stuff today, but in the demo derby world the EEC-V computers are like the prime year range people run.

At some point I should put some effort into making it look nicer and such. Some basic instructions besides "upload a file" might be good too xD lol.

I can appreciate the work tvrfan put into SAD for these computers, solving the bank identification was a bit of a challenge for bank 1 vs 9, but pretty sure my code should work for most/all 4 bank bins now except maybe the AU based ones, I haven't seen how they are formatted yet, but I've seen people mention detection issues for them. I'll have to see if I can locate a bin file for an AU based computer and see just how much different the design is, or if it's just the start of the banks changed a little.
In-Tech

Post by In-Tech »

Nice work :)
DWS

Post by DWS »

Thanks, I whipped up a pretty quick and dirty bin diff utility. Seems like there isn't a good one for linux, the one I like is command line, but is a pain to type out the file names every time so I made a clone of what it does on my site in the simplest way I could think off. I left the bank detection in for this so it's easy to spot bank swapped issues when comparing files. I've tested a hand full of files on it and everything lines up to what I expect. Differences are marked in red.

Technically this doesn't require an EEC-V bin to work, I did put a file size limit of 1mb. If a file has a lot of differences, give the page plenty of time to load. I didn't design the page to be as efficient as possible so every byte different has html to change the color, so lots of changes makes the page a lot larger to load.

https://eec.derbyws.com/bindiff.php
DWS

Post by DWS »

Small update on this, poked around with TwEECer/CalEdit a little and it seems like it can take 2 bin formats for bank ordering (unpadded).

If anyone has a tweecer, if you could read a stock bin, run it through my converter, and test both of those formats and check if flashing it to your car makes it run, that would be awesome. For now I'll just add a note on the page for what it looks like the software is expecting.
DWS

Post by DWS »

Another minor update. Banks are reported in the order the uploaded file was sent (easier to check the orig bank order).

Also added code to strip out the auto generated text from the uploaded file encase someone is switching back and forth between formats, the bank order and file size ending won't stack (if unmodified).