GM Can to ALDL

Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Re: GM Can to ALDL

Post by Tre-Cool »

what os/cal you using. if im bored i'll run it through gidra and see what it tables/switches get referenced.
Tre-Cool

Post by Tre-Cool »

I picked myself up a rough VZ SS (6lt/t42) a couple of weeks ago, so when time permits I'll do the 6l conversion. I believe i can do it just by modifying\redoing the harness since i've done some comparison between the early 06 ve manual/auto & vz e38 tunes & can see whats different in the relevant area's that i believe need to be changed.

Specifically the IMS being set on the ve's for the 6l80 vs t42 combo (they exported ve's with 4 speed auto's to saudi arabia) I obviously have to keep to a early 2008 based tcm OS.
ben_att
cars: VF
VZ
VY

Post by ben_att »

Tre-Cool wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:05 pm I picked myself up a rough VZ SS (6lt/t42) a couple of weeks ago, so when time permits I'll do the 6l conversion. I believe i can do it just by modifying\redoing the harness since i've done some comparison between the early 06 ve manual/auto & vz e38 tunes & can see whats different in the relevant area's that i believe need to be changed.

Specifically the IMS being set on the ve's for the 6l80 vs t42 combo (they exported ve's with 4 speed auto's to saudi arabia) I obviously have to keep to a early 2008 based tcm OS.
Nice, hopefully you can get it to work easily with some OS changes. Although the E38 pinouts vary a bit from VF to VZ, not too sure about VE.
There's a loom that goes between the TCM in the LH footwell and out the firewall to the 4l60 but they've also used this loom to pickup other stuff such as oxy sensors & alarm horn which is a little annoying as you need to continue this stuff through. There's another plug that taps into this loom in the same area from the body harness to pickup the oxy's to send back to the ECU and the GMLAN to the TCM etc.
I've also attached a spreadsheet I made up that shows the different pin signals on the plug in the footwell for the auto (and PIM differences) if this helps you at all. The plug has a different title depending on what engine you have, it's called X203 and has 24 pins on the V6, it is called X206 on the Gen III with 26 pins(I didn't finish this one because I didn't need it), but the Gen IV V8 is called X211 and has 24 pins. I couldn't seem to find pin outs tables for these plugs in the service manual I have which would've made it much easier.
The other issue you may have is the reverse lights may be driven by the physical switch mounted to the 4l60, from what I could tell, my SS crewman V8 has the reverse lights directly from that switch but on my V6 1 tonne it goes via GMLAN (which made it easier for me), the PIM has an output on pin 12 which picks up relay R12 for the reverse lights, so no physical switch. I don't think the 6l80 has a physical output for reverse, so if yours is wired like the first, may need to fiddle to add a switch, change/reprogram the PIM to get that output or rig up a standalone module to pickup a relay off the GMLAN when gear selector in R.
The screenshot attached shows all the versions I'm running.
It's pretty much there now. Just this pesky SVS alert, I changed the A/C pressure switch to be SES only, then with a CAN logger hooked up, plugged in/unplugged the A/C pressure switch which triggered the 'Service Vehicle Soon' on and off on the cluster so now the message can hopefully be singled out and translated from VF SES to VZ SES.

Interested to see how yours goes, good luck!
Attachments
VZ PIM and TCM pin outs -.xlsx
(11.66 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Versions - Copy.jpg
Tre-Cool

Post by Tre-Cool »

luckily enough I have most of the pinouts already for when i put a 6l & 6l80 into my vy ute. because i used a 2010 ecu i had to disconnect the aldl pin to dash because of the different canbus data from early to late.

not really an issue now because i put a powertune dash in it anyway.

I am hoping that the PIM is what is controlling the reverse lights, might get lucky where even if it isn't. it could still be programmed to turn on anyway.

I wonder why they ran the O2's through the x211 plug, makes no sense since that is going towards the car body harness. they must be doing a bit of a loop from the drivers side out to the engine bay harness. lol
Tre-Cool

Post by Tre-Cool »

any updates on your pim translator?