Ford programming Explained

Ford information and tools can be found here
kur4o

Ford programming Explained

Post by kur4o »

While browsing around found very detailed explanation of ford programming.

Enjoy.

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18751
DWS
cars: Tons of Toyotas, 2003 cavi derby car, ford trucks, etc.

Re: Ford programming Explained

Post by DWS »

This looks like a real interesting read, thanks for posting =). I heard about forscan wanting to add the ability to flash computers but I haven't followed it.

Looks like currently the "1st gen" computers are still being worked on, but 2nd gen (sounds to be 2005ish through 2011ish) is what that link mostly documents. I don't know much about the newer computers, but I'm pretty sure that's the 3 connector ones, black oak or something like that. The EEC-V ones would be 1st gen which is what I'm working with currently.
By this moment FORScan only implements second generation of FMFU for Ford and Mazda cars. So this document also describes only 2nd generation. Implementation for the 1st generation is still in progress.
I wonder if/when they will have 1st gen covered. I know there was a number of changes during the first gen, so it's probably more complicated than the matured 2nd gen era, like PWM (96-03ish) vs CANBUS (04+). Also 96-97 vs 98+ something's different there for PCMFlash to not work with the older ones.
Ford EEC-V Bin Converter (bank swapping and padding): viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8342
hjtrbo
cars: VF2 R8 LSA
FG XR6T
HJ Ute w/RB25DET

Post by hjtrbo »

I've successfully used the Forscan recovery mode on a soft bricked FG Mk1 turbo PCM. It had no problem retrieving the cal from it's database and sending it over the net. Flashed it no worries. The extended license is a bargain. Very impressive.
DWS
cars: Tons of Toyotas, 2003 cavi derby car, ford trucks, etc.

Post by DWS »

Yea once they cover the 1st gen version of the computers I planned to buy it for a secondary option for flashing. PCM Flash works great, but 96-97 it can't do for some reason even though it's still the EEC-V era. I haven't dug into it yet, but it might not even support the CANBUS EEC-V computers which I'd assume are more or less the same, just the communication protocol changed. Haven't tried though so can't really say either way, just the module does list Ford PWM for the protocol.

The stock bin database is a really neat feature. I've been collecting stock bins for a similar reason, besides knowing what the stock values are and being able to see exactly when calibrations changed like for example when injector size changed or MAF, etc.
Ford EEC-V Bin Converter (bank swapping and padding): viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8342
jakka
cars: 6FPAAAJGSW9E86101

Post by jakka »

hjtrbo wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:30 am I've successfully used the Forscan recovery mode on a soft bricked FG Mk1 turbo PCM. It had no problem retrieving the cal from it's database and sending it over the net. Flashed it no worries. The extended license is a bargain. Very impressive.
Try it with an ELM327 and see what happens lol.
hjtrbo
cars: VF2 R8 LSA
FG XR6T
HJ Ute w/RB25DET

Post by hjtrbo »

Not that dumb lol. Many will though and then blame the software probably
Gatecrasher

Post by Gatecrasher »

I can't believe they even offer programming via ELM type devices. It also blew my mind that Ford thinks it's acceptable to take 9+ hours to program a cluster.
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

Forscan was designed for use with some of the obdlink devices, and it should be pretty stable with elm, as long as it is of high quality, and not cheap china crap clones.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

The issue with OBDLinks is speed and packet size.

The available ram inside of each OBDLink varies between the tool and firmwares. Its the 99% reason of problems in pcmhammer also for supporting them.

Some will support packets of a few hundred bytes.. others will support just over 100bytes.

So when a programming procedure then tries to use 4096bytes, its just an utter fail.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726