"flat response" knock sensors

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Gampy

Re: "flat response" knock sensors

Post by Gampy »

Cincinnatus wrote:NSFW, are the differences you posted from the p01 bins or p59 bins? Curious, so the OS that uses them is 3x for the v6, not the ls 24x OS, or is the OS the same with different segments? If it's the same I would think it could work. If different OS then maybe tables are utilized differently and can't work. Someone I'm sure knows from disassembly of some OS's for xdf or tuning.
The Operating System is the same for v6 and v8, the calibrations are all that change.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I was looking at a V6 bin that uses the same 2156 OS as lots of LS cars.

I was comparing to the 7603 OS and now that I think about it, that might not be the smartest thing... Now I need to compare the knock sensor settings in 2165 and 7603 OSes with LS calibrations.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
jlvaldez
cars: '01 - Corvette Z06
'20 - Sierra Denali
'03 - Volvo S80 T6
'16 - Accord V6

Post by jlvaldez »

Think the knock sensor code is different?

I'm surprised you have all these tables. None of this is in the tube when I open in HPT.

Had no idea there was this much configurability.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Definitely much configuration ... If you've never looked at the Tuner in Universal Patcher, you should.
jlvaldez wrote:Think the knock sensor code is different?
The Operating System Code can (and likely does) have two (or more) different sensor handlers (routines) that can be selected by Calibration Parameters.
Also, these handlers can be further configured by Calibration Parameters.

But they would still be the same v6 or v8 in the same OsID ... It's the Calibrations that makes the difference ...
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
ShorTuning
cars: 2002 Camaro
2002 Formula

Post by ShorTuning »

This is all the parameters I have on the Knock logic in the 12587603 OS

May shed some light on what needs to be done by comparing two tunes with this OS. Was going to try and back log/calculate the 12212156 locations by doing some hex poking but not made it very far with that.
Attachments
12587603 Knock Parameters.xlsx
(16.15 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
budwizer

Post by budwizer »

NSFW, or others?

I know this may be a little bit of a thread dig, and potentially has been resolved.

But out of curiosity was this ever confirmed working or did it fall through the cracks as a still to do?
RADustin

Post by RADustin »

budwizer wrote:NSFW, or others?

I know this may be a little bit of a thread dig, and potentially has been resolved.

But out of curiosity was this ever confirmed working or did it fall through the cracks as a still to do?
personally, I've tried to make these work and have never been successful. :rant:
roughneck427
2008 Pontiac G8

Post by roughneck427 »

after much digging of doing a compare in a v6 flat and a v8 resonant there was a total of 31 maps i have made a kp file to run a spript and or a xdf of just the knock tables parsed out
roughneck427
2008 Pontiac G8

Post by roughneck427 »

i did and overlay in winols and parsed out the knock sensor maps that had only changed from a v6 flat response to a v8 resonant. My vehicle is not running right now to test but there is a significant amount of changes not mapped in commercial tuning tools.
Attachments
12587603 knock sensors changes only.xdf
(42.86 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
12212156 knock sensors changes only.xdf
(43.25 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Thanks! I'll give those a look.

So far, all I know for sure is that the wiring harness that I used isn't going to work. It grounds one lead from the sensor and runs the other lead to the PCM. However I'm pretty certain that both leads from each sensor need to go to dual inputs on the PCM (four PCM pins total). I am going to redo the wiring correctly and see if that works, but it will probably be a while before I get to it.

In the meantime I have a second set of sensors hooked up to a Plex Knock Monitor, which does a good job on its own. But I'd still rather have the PCM monitoring knock so that it can pull timing in real time.

Mostly I've been chasing misfires since late last year. I've ruled out a bunch of obvious stuff (verified spark with a spark tester, swapped spark plug / coil / injector, verified injector signal with noid light, verified compression...) and the next step will be to try replacing the injector connectors.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!