DTC for trans

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
Jaso74
cars: VR Commodore ute 304 auto

DTC for trans

Post by Jaso74 »

Hi All .

Just been out doing some logging, rt tuning and general running of my ute to ensure it's driving it's best before going in for a road worthy to get registered in about a week or so .

Anyway tuning going pretty well and it's pretty fun to drive , very happy so far !
Just on last drive I did a u turn and traction became less then optimal , it clicked into second and brought up the check engine light , with a dtc logged of "DTC 68 Transmission component slipping". As soon as I turned it off and restarted no more check engine light on dash so not a hard fault obviously just set with going out of slip parameters measured by the looks .

Now given the state of most things on this ute, I am assuming trans has done a lot of work and probably sure as hell slipped a bit as the time but it sure didn't feel particually slippy in the trans department.

My question is , can I just turn off the TCC high slipping Scalar for the time being just for some insurance so it doesn't log the code when on road test in the actual road worthy testers hands , Just incase old mate likes the feel of the throttle and gets a bit happy with the pedal the same as I did ?

My long term plan is the either rebuild this trans or get another because I'm just working on it will need it sooner or later.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: DTC for trans

Post by immortality »

Yes, you should be able to uncheck the 68 DTC from setting the CEL.

Have a look under Malfunction

You might need to read the 11p PDF as I can't remember if you have to check or uncheck the box to mask the code.
Jaso74

Post by Jaso74 »

Thanks heaps , will uncheck it and drive it again tomorrow .

cheers
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

This is the torque converter clutch slipping, basically the converter/auto is on it's way out.

My brother's ute was doing this on his 2nd auto, so we just added slip additive and then turned off the code in the tune and hoped for the best.

Still going today but the ute has def seen better days.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Jaso74

Post by Jaso74 »

Ahhh ok that might change things then , I have a 3000k stall convertor , little 10 inch dia jobby . Was in there when bought the car . Only reason I know is it has the specs written on it as they do and it's small .
So with that being a possible issue , should i try adjusting a scalar for the amount of allowable rpm slip ?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I suppose you could but I'd expect that it will continue to get worse with time and need readjusting to compensate. As for my bothers ute, I am sure it went into trans limp mode when that happened and was forced into 3rd. So I just turned off the DTC processing code flag and it drives fine as far as I can tell, except when it gets other CEL all the time :lol: Biggest POS ever lol.

Funny how my shitbox with more ks and driven a LOT! and abused constantly, never once has a CEL, except that one time I purposely disconnected the MAP to test Alpha-N mode, which works surprising well I might add.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Jaso74

Post by Jaso74 »

Yep okdokey .
Well I might turn it off and see how I go for time being .
Really I will need to build another trans or rebuild mine , that convertor looks pretty new but I guess that isn't a good guide as the outside of them doesn't really get wear and tear .
Mine didn't go into limp at all and drove fine for all intense purposes . Does the fact it is a non lock up convertor in a VR 4L60e play a role ? It should log a code for that not locking up really , if you cruised at lock up speeds maybe it will ?
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I'd imagine it will throw a code if the PCM has requested lockup but it doesn't work.

Max out the TCC lockup tables and that should stop the PCM trying to lock the converter.
Last edited by immortality on Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yes, that def would be the reason. If it's not lock up, the ECU will be cracking the shits for sure.
Jaso74

Post by Jaso74 »

Thanks again guys .
I will make changes and see how it goes !