E38 Sub Application Question

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
OldSkoolGP
cars: 2006 VZ Pontiac GTO, 2005 VZ Holden Crewman SSZ

E38 Sub Application Question

Post by OldSkoolGP »

I have an issue I'm trying to resolve. I have two Holden E38 operating systems, 12607218 and 12609099.

12607218 is for 06 VZ Holden Commodores with 6.0L V8 engines
12609099 is for 06-07 VZ Holden Utes with 6.0L V8 engines

12609099 is the OS I ultimately want to use in my project because it can work with a Fuel Pump Control Module, but I can't use it right now because it won't talk to the Commodore ABS module in my car, which is the same one used in the VZ Commodore. The Commodore module has 4 outgoing brake lines, the Ute modules have 3 outgoing brake lines. Would it be possible to transfer the segments that control communication with the ABS module from the Commodore OS over to the Ute OS?
Attachments
Base Tune 12609099.hpt
(709.83 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Last edited by OldSkoolGP on Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OldSkoolGP

Re: E38 Sub Application Question

Post by OldSkoolGP »

Here's the other OS. If .bin files are more useful I can get them.
Attachments
VZ Commodore M6 Stock Tune.hpt
(692.35 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

Im not sure why the tunes would not be compatible. I can't imagine holden ran 2 different versions of programming in the abs modules.

If it helps, I just got a vz 6lt sedan that came with the 12607218 os, so when i get some time i'll switch it over to the ute OS and see what i find.

I suspect it may just be something either turned on/off in a can broadcast, because the ecu tunes themselves have nothing special configured for ABS stuff.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

ABS communications is via the can pim, too.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tre-Cool

Post by Tre-Cool »

That's probably for the abs light to the dash cluster since it doesnt appear to be wired directly like the handbrake, headlight & indicators?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

I havnt looked as closely at this generation so cant say for sure but I think the ABS also implements the braking part of traction control with the logic in the pcm.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
OldSkoolGP

Post by OldSkoolGP »

Tre-Cool wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:12 pm Im not sure why the tunes would not be compatible. I can't imagine holden ran 2 different versions of programming in the abs modules.

If it helps, I just got a vz 6lt sedan that came with the 12607218 os, so when i get some time i'll switch it over to the ute OS and see what i find.

I suspect it may just be something either turned on/off in a can broadcast, because the ecu tunes themselves have nothing special configured for ABS stuff.
Just happened to be searching for something else online and saw this old thread pop up in a Google search. Thank you both of you for replying.

I suspect now that you are correct and something else was going on to cause the ABS fault message to come on as soon as I moved the car. Since I posted this I have spoken to a guy in WA that has taken the computers and the drivetrain from a VF SS Commodore and put them in a VZ Ute. He has a few bugs he hasn't worked out yet, but he told me he is still running the VZ V6 ABS module and does not get any ABS error messages. My problem may be a PIM/EBCM configuration issue.

Did you ever have the chance to put the 12609099 OS in your 6L Sedan? That would give me some insight into where the problem lies.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Maybe. There are people that run both computers from both generations in parallel, so consider that might be the case too.
Tre-Cool

Post by Tre-Cool »

OldSkoolGP wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:44 pm
Tre-Cool wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:12 pm Im not sure why the tunes would not be compatible. I can't imagine holden ran 2 different versions of programming in the abs modules.

Just happened to be searching for something else online and saw this old thread pop up in a Google search. Thank you both of you for replying.

I suspect now that you are correct and something else was going on to cause the ABS fault message to come on as soon as I moved the car. Since I posted this I have spoken to a guy in WA that has taken the computers and the drivetrain from a VF SS Commodore and put them in a VZ Ute. He has a few bugs he hasn't worked out yet, but he told me he is still running the VZ V6 ABS module and does not get any ABS error messages. My problem may be a PIM/EBCM configuration issue.

Did you ever have the chance to put the 12609099 OS in your 6L Sedan? That would give me some insight into where the problem lies.
Not yet, it's on the hoist at my workshop, found the steering rack was busted and kept leaking fluid out 1 side. All fixed now. I'll try to remember to give it a shot when im home again next week.

Until then i can tell you that in the Calibration there are switches to turn on the broadcast or receiving of data that is slightly different between the oses from memory. I was looking at this for the 6l80 swap i have planned. Similar situation where the ecu os has some stuff turned on for 6l vs t42/4l60.

Co-incidently this was proven true when a guy was having shifting issues on a conversion with the wrong calibration.
https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.ph ... rsion-help
Tre-Cool

Post by Tre-Cool »

So i tried the 12609099 os in my vz sedan & have a no start condition. I.e start wont engage, it also logs a P0513 -Incorrect Immobilizer Key, which would be why it wont start.

I'm bored, so im gonna compare some files.