Tuning Order

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
SVGE
cars: VY V6 Calais sedan, VS V6 SPAC Ute, D40 YD25 kingcab. Planned to change: D40 to GQ, VY to VY LS Calais.

Tuning Order

Post by SVGE »

Hey all,

I’m wondering what’s the best order to Tune, what should you get done first AFR, Spark, Idle.

Then from those categories what is the order to go through seeing as they all seem to have multiple things that can affect them?

Please note I’m very new in slowly getting a base understanding just wanting guidance and trying to form a check list to work my way through I feel it’s something that’s handy to do so when researching and trying stuff your not altering stuff you shouldn’t be touching yet

I’m using TUNER PRO RT.
I am doing tuning a VY V6 N/A

As a little side question also I hear a lot about VE Tables but I do not see it do VY not use them ?? What is the equivalent?

Thanks in advance!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Tuning Order

Post by antus »

You probably want to get idle in the ballpark first so you can sit there in the car looking at your laptop without it stalling. How you get the idle in might depend on calibrating any hardware you change, MAF, injectors, etc rather than idle tables. Then I'd do AFR, if the spark seemed sain and not dangerous to work with, if it did seem dangerous I'd change that a bit first, then come back to it. Then once the fueling is good, for a road tune I'd drive it and feel out the flat spots and add a little timing there, on the dyno you can be more methodological about timing. Then I'd check the fueling once again, it may need another a slight tweak.

VE maps pressure to flow, so it only applies when you are using a MAP sensor to measure manifold pressure, when the computer is needing airflow to calculate how much fuel to deliver. MAF provides airflow, so VE isn't required. You tune the MAF scalers with the spread sheet that can apply corrections and calculate new MAF scaler tables you can paste back in (You can't make sense of them directly in tunepro without using the helper spreadsheet). The other table is this one: viewtopic.php?p=126471#p126471
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396