vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Ecotec V6 Dry sump

Post by vlad01 »

Looks very similar to the factory PS pump. I was speaking to Clarko up in QLD about maybe making a kit for the VN-VR to take one of these motor sport type PS pumps as he's done with the ecos. It's getting so hard to find good pumps for them now and no internal parts to rebuilt them any more. I think the main issue with VN-VR was the in/out of those pumps just don't clear or allow any hoses to be run on those engines in the factory location. But that pump might just fit?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Gareth wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:30 am Image

I've been staring at this picture for a while now and am struggling to understand how this doesn't wreck the crank and valve train with no balancer?

Any one have any ideas how this would survive?
Maybe they have modified the crank and change it to internal balance?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

vlad01 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:37 am Looks very similar to the factory PS pump. I was speaking to Clarko up in QLD about maybe making a kit for the VN-VR to take one of these motor sport type PS pumps as he's done with the ecos. It's getting so hard to find good pumps for them now and no internal parts to rebuilt them any more. I think the main issue with VN-VR was the in/out of those pumps just don't clear or allow any hoses to be run on those engines in the factory location. But that pump might just fit?
That is a Sweet 1300 pump, all alloy. Seems to be the same bolt pattern as ecotec?
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

immortality wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:44 am
Gareth wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:30 am Image

I've been staring at this picture for a while now and am struggling to understand how this doesn't wreck the crank and valve train with no balancer?

Any one have any ideas how this would survive?
Maybe they have modified the crank and change it to internal balance?
But what absorbs the "whipping" of the crank?
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Don't know. Maybe they were willing to sacrifice engine life for another .1 per lap? Maybe more with less rotating mass it will accelerate faster?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I believe this is the reason they broke cranks and blew up constantly early in the series. They then switched from stock to a Scat billet/forged (not sure which) crank and that "fixed" the problem. They are pretty reliable considering the rpm and the limited suspension travel that causes them to jut a lot around the track and flutter the engine rpm as a result. Calder park with it's bad quality track was notorious for breaking cranks on these cars before switching to billet ones.

Valve train as far as I have seen have next to no issues. Actually surprises me as their setup is very "chev" like.

Biggest issue I have seen in recent years on these engines/cars is ARP bolt failures which is a thing, ARP are know to have had bad batches over the years. The FH guys swear by Carr bolts and have no failures but like mentioned the ARP ones have had random failures often enough to fall into the known bad batches. Having no harmonic damper is asking for trouble though. I def would not run without one, but I feel the 80s and 90s, motor sports was a bit dumb and trailed understanding and engineering knowledge the OEMs had at the time.

These days, all good engine builders know the importance of having a damper, even if it adds mass.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Some more progress, now to start the plumbing.
IMG_2397.jpeg
IMG_2399.jpeg
IMG_2395.jpeg
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

It's a shame Ross got bought out all those years ago and stopped making dampers outside primarily the JDM market.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Came across this relevant video, the guy in it is really goofy but some interesting and surprising results with the oil windage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk7r0TL0Or4
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaTbfvzNbxQ

Can't get a better visual than this