Fitech EFI

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

Fitech EFI

Post by BennVenn »

With a lack of injected manfolds available for the 351C, and our LPG tanks out of date for this years rego check and all but one service station in a 100km radius removing LPG it was time to go full petrol on the old horse truck. The original '77 carb was flogged and it was either 1k for a new carb and jets and a few hrs on the dyno getting the jetting right, or $1500 for a full Fitech EFI kit, so Fitech it was!

I was a little skeptical about the claimed ease of use, self tuning, all that stuff. The FiTech facebook group really don't have nice things to say about the product. Reading more into it most problems come down bad wiring and noisy signals. With that in mind, extra care and earth wires were run and it fired up on the first attempt.

Setup was literally as simple as entering engine capacity, cam type (as a number from 1-4, one being factory, 4 being 'wild'), thermo fan cut in and out temperatures and hit save. The rest is all automatic and once it came up to temp the auto tune did it's thing. There are advanced tuning menu's in the hand controller, simple things like setting target AFR at different load and RPM points, accel enrich, decel etc. but none of that needed to be touched. No flat spots, no hesitation, rock solid AFR's (the kit includes a bosch wideband).

The install was fairly simple too, unbolt the carb, bolt on the FiTech. The truck is a 77 F350 so no in tank pumps so I used the included surge tank and high pressure pump. The mechanical fuel pump feeds the surge tank, and a return line needs to be added. The kit comes with a collapsible AN6 bulkhead style fitting. You drill a 1/2" hole in the fuel tank, insert this aluminium gasketed fitting and tighten a bolt to collapse the back and make a seal. Remove the bolt, thread on the AN6 flare and connect the hose.

I needed to buy a throttle cable ball to connect my throttle cable to the FiTech, only $8 or so from Autopro. Also needed an AN6 blanking nut as there is no return from the FiTech, rather the fuel reg and return come out of the surge tank. The supplied fuel filter o-rings were all way too small and leaked terribly and needed to be replaced. High pressure fuel line was included but not enough to return back to the tank, a few meters of carb fuel line were needed. FiTech sits much lower than the old carb and LPG mixer did so a new air filter was needed, and FiTech use a non standard thread for the air cleaner thread so something custom needed to be made up for that.

Other than that, no issues. Fuel consumption was 33-40L/100km on LPG, now 23-25L/100km on e10 fully loaded with hay. It's a horse float, 3.8t empty, and the shape of a fridge so it'll never be great on fuel but better than it was. The pounds/hr readout on the display is interesting too and the truck consumes twice the fuel at 90kph as it does at 70kph!

If you're considering swapping from carb to EFI in an afternoon, I don't think it gets much easier than this.
IMG_20240402_171844524_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240402_171839552_HDR.jpg
That reminds me, I need to connect the vac advance back up!