Logger improvements

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
NSFW

Logger improvements

Post by NSFW »

I have been doing a bunch of data logging in my Corvette lately, so that's gotten me motivated to improve the logger. These changes aren't available in a release yet, but they are in a pull request at GitHub: https://github.com/LegacyNsfw/PcmHacks/pull/342

There are a couple of UI changes that I think most people will appreciate. First, the "start/stop recording" button is much bigger, so it's easier to press it with your thumb while you're driving. :) Second, all of the parameters are now always displayed on the left side of the window.

And, since I have a couple of CAN devices in my Corvette, so I added support for CAN logging. Currently, only one CAN interface is supported. But, it's cheap:

https://www.seeedstudio.com/USB-CAN-Ana ... -2888.html

If you need AFR in your logs, I recommend AEM's X-Series gauges, which support support CAN, so you don't need to wire them into your PCM.

There are also a few new log parameters for the 7603 operating system, but I have to admit that not all of them are reliable.

There are also a couple of tiny improvments to PCM Hammer. The long pause before "Kernel upload 48%" always makes my heart skip a beat, so now it prints "Permission to upload granted" before it start the upload. Also, it logs the VPW messages for OBDX devices.

The next things on my to-do list - which probably won't happen in this order, but which will probably happen:
* a more dashboard-like UI for log parameters, so they'll be easier to read at a distance
* enable/disable log saving via the Air Conditioning switch, or something else that doesn't require reaching for the laptop
* more log parameters for the 7603 operating system
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
kur4o

Re: Logger improvements

Post by kur4o »

I can only suggest for functionality, GUI design is totally upto you.

More RAM parameters, that are needed for tuning, scalars for table lookup, and more knock data.

Mode AE command for realtime control, like AFR, spark, engine speed and so no. Some crank relearn logic will be great too. I have some logs for crank relearn and also most of the ls1 AE command set.

Edit: log saving will be great if starts on connection. It does happen with lots of programs to miss important event by forget to press that hidden start logging button, Just save any data it logs and be done with it.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Coincidentally, I need crank relearn for my car right now, so I'm very motivated to implement that right now... The main thing I need is a list of the steps that the user needs to go through, and the messages the app needs to send (and listen for?) at each step. If you have those, or even just some of it, I'll start implementing this weekend.

I think it would be pretty easy to make it start logging right away, and continue logging when the user switches profiles. I can look into that.
Please don't PM me with technical questions - start a thread instead, and send me a link to it. That way I can answer in public, and help other people who have the same question. Thanks!
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

I got some log of crank relearn recently by some nice fellows around here.

here is the basics

monitor coolant and rpm.
The threshold for running relearn is at least 80* C coolant temp, idle speed and park holding brakes.,

Than when conditions are met

you send

6C 10 F1 AE 01 00 00 00 00 08 00

and start monitor pid 12f0
Also instruct user to gradually nail the throttle and increase rpm till cutoff or around 4-5k rpm if there is no cutoff.

At around cutoff the pid 12f0 will change status from 00 to 40
40=test in progress

Than when test is done it will switch to 80
80=test done, crank learned this cycle.

exit with success, if 12f0 don`t change to 80 but something else, exit with error.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

That looks pretty simple, thanks! I'll try it this weekend.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

Wait... what needs to happen in between the PID changing from 40 to 80?
Does the user need to hold high RPM, or can they lift off the gas pedal when the PID changes to 40?
kur4o

Post by kur4o »

At that point rpm start to drop[fuel cutoff], and time is not that long, between 2 events.
Boostedforlife

Post by Boostedforlife »

Great info guys.

I have ltit from Bubba for help dialing in desired air flow on cammed motors. I've tried disassabl8ng the 7603 and othersl os's to help the project but really have no idea what I'm looking at. Okay I have figured some instructions out but nothing helpful

NSWF do you have a text version of the disassembly? so I can look at it and learn how the computer work might help me put 2 and 2 together
pmcquay

Post by pmcquay »

kur4o wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:57 am I got some log of crank relearn recently by some nice fellows around here.

here is the basics

monitor coolant and rpm.
The threshold for running relearn is at least 80* C coolant temp, idle speed and park holding brakes.,

Than when conditions are met

you send

6C 10 F1 AE 01 00 00 00 00 08 00

and start monitor pid 12f0
Also instruct user to gradually nail the throttle and increase rpm till cutoff or around 4-5k rpm if there is no cutoff.

At around cutoff the pid 12f0 will change status from 00 to 40
40=test in progress

Than when test is done it will switch to 80
80=test done, crank learned this cycle.

exit with success, if 12f0 don`t change to 80 but something else, exit with error.
I was going to get this data a while ago and life got in the way, so I'm glad that its being worked on! Would this process work for a 12212156 os as well? Or is it 7603 specific?

Other notes because Ive been doing a lot of logging lately:

Logging everything would be great, ive had several half hour drives where I forgot to hit start. Totally my fault, but if it just logged the whole session it would be great. Maybe as a switch in the connection settings.

Automatically connecting doesnt work nicely if I've just exited pcm hammer. Im not sure what can be done about this, but maybe retry connection if it sees the port is in use? It would be great to have them both be open at the same time, but I doubt that would be simple.
NSFW

Post by NSFW »

I've run into the issue with switching apps too, since I've been alternating between logging and flashing a lot lately.

I've been wanting to move the logging stuff into the PCM Hammer app for a long time, and now I feel like that really needs to happen. I still need to think through what that would take, though. It would start with some buttons at the top to switch the whole app between flashing, logging, and other tools (VIN change, reset trouble codes, test file checksum, etc) and then a bunch of checks in the code to make sure nobody tries to start logging in the middle of a flash operation...