Cruise control settings ecotec V6?

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Cruise control settings ecotec V6?

Post by immortality »

Where or how can we adjust the cruise control settings?

Working on a VS L67 tune which has a LS TB, when cruise control is engaged the throttle movements are very aggressive because of the much larger TB. One option is to physically adjust the location of the cruise control cable (make the arm longer) to slow down throttle opening but is there something we can alter tuning wise to slow throttle movement?

I don't see anything in the PCM tune for throttle settings, only shift points and TCC setting related to cruise control.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Cruise control settings ecotec V6?

Post by vlad01 »

Cruise is it's own self contained isolated electromechanical module. It's basically a PID controller. Unfortunately there is no adjustment in there as far as I can see. It's a large 64? pin DIP chip with a few large Mosfets, then a stepper motor and a gear/shaft engagement solenoid for safety/quick release.

I'd just move the cable point on the throttle out, it will be more sluggish which sounds like what you want, but it will also limit max throttle seen when the cruise is pegged out, not often an issue but can really suck if you have a higher stall auto and up hill. Exactly my experience when using a v8 throttle with my built auto and not having any good place for both auto and cruise cables, so the cruise was put in one of the unused holes that was further out and not in the ideal geometry (well past the throttle shaft point), so it struggled to get decent throttle opening even though the response was decent.

But your car and engine, throttle body etc... will be all different and a not the same as I had, so hopefully it works out good just moving it out.

I actually pressed my own piggy back bracket to go on the throttle bell crank to give me the more or less stock v6 location that was in thin air on the v8 one. Worked good, but the auto sucks the life out of the engine and cruise. Manual will fix that soon enough :lol:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

OK, that's kinda what I expected TBH. I'll let the owner know and we'll go with plan A modify the TB linkage to suit.

Cheers
cars: VY s L67
Haines Hunter - not a car but still a toy

Post by 0081 »

I looked into this a while back and seems to come across that this logic may have been in the BCM apposed to the actual cruise control module.

If its in the BC there is more of a chance that it could be accessed and changed. I would seem more likely that its in the BCM to me over the actual cruise control module but I never did confirm it 100%
brindo

Post by brindo »

The setting you would want to adjust would be the gain and increasing the throttle arm length does the same thing.
I had the exact same issue on mine with the LS throttle. I have increased the total length of the arm to now be 2.5” centre to centre and this works well with an auto.